Cal State LA provides a number of options for groups and individuals to build and host university websites. These options are designed to accommodate different needs. Regardless of where a website is hosted, all Cal State LA websites must adhere to the following policies and standards.
New Web Design
Cal State LA has released a new design for university websites hosted on the Drupal web platform. Groups can request access to the new design to create a new website or to update an existing website. To learn more, see the Department or Group Website section of this page.
Below are the different types of websites that can be requested.
Department or Group Website
Cal State LA groups such as colleges, divisions, departments, centers, labs, programs, and institutes can request a website on the university Drupal web platform. The platform includes templates and design blocks that web authors can use to quickly and easily build webpages. The website theme is centrally maintained, accessible, mobile responsive, and Cal State LA branded.
Summary of the Process
- Complete the following training in Canvas (login required).
- Submit the Website Request Form in ServiceNow (login required).
- Once you receive your landing page, develop the content. Make sure the content is accessible and follows writing best practices.
- Submit your landing page for an accessibility review.
- Schedule a date to make your landing page the homepage of your website.
- Once your landing page is made public, create new subpages or convert existing pages into subpages.
Canvas is Cal State LA’s primary learning management system (LMS) that is used to publish course websites. Instructors can use the various features of Canvas to post a syllabus and reading materials, incorporate multimedia, manage assignments, create online quizzes, assign grades, communicate with students, and more. To learn how to use Canvas, visit the Canvas Support site.
Cal State LA faculty can request a webpage for publishing their curriculum vitae (CV). Once the page is created, it will be listed in the Faculty Web Directory.
Summary of the Process
- Submit the Faculty Webpage Request Form in ServiceNow (login required).
- Once you receive your webpage URL, develop the content.
Student Organization Website
Student organization websites are hosted on the student organization portal. Students can request a website by contacting the Center for Student Involvement.
Third-party Hosted Website
If your website has features that are currently not supported on the Cal State LA Drupal web platform and you would like to use a third-party hosting service, please review the Guidelines for Third-party Hosted Websites.
For resources on how to use the Cal State LA Drupal web platform, visit the Drupal Support page.
For web related questions or assistance, contact the Web Administrator at [email protected]tela.edu. For web accessibility related questions or assistance, contact the Web Accessibility Team at [email protected].