ECST faculty share a passion with our students to commit to excellence and engage in community through research. Engineering a solution for not only today's problems but tomorrow's possibilities.
Faculty Research Labs
- Earthquake and Blast-Resistant Structures ‒ Dr. Tonatiuh Rodriguez-Nikl, CE
- Environmental Sustainability and Pollution Control (ESPC) Research Lab ‒ Dr. Arezoo Khodayari, CE
- Geotech Research Lab - Dr. Welson Kwan and Dr. Mark Tufenkjian, CE
- Hydrology and Water Resources Lab ‒ Dr. Sonya Lopez, CE
- Resilient and Sustainable Infrastructure and Communities ‒ Dr. Tonatiuh Rodriguez-Nikl, CE
- Sustainable Infrastructures Materials Research Lab (SIM-Lab) ‒ Dr. Mehran Mazari, CE
- Artificial Intelligence and Data Science Research Lab ‒ Dr. Mohammad Pourhomayoun, CS
- Network Research Lab ‒ Dr. Huping Guo, Dr. Jiang Guo, Dr. Zilong Ye, Dr. Yuquing Zhu, CS
- Visual Media Lab ‒ Dr. Eun-Young Elaine Kang, CS
- Machine Learning and Sensing Lab ‒ Dr. Navid Amini, CS
- Aerodynamics and Optimization Laboratory, Dr. Jim Kuo, ME and MSE
- Advanced Materials and Manufacturing Laboratory ‒ Dr. Mohsen Eshraghi, MSE and ME
- Applied Injury Biomechanics Lab ‒ Dr. David Raymond, ME
- Bio-Nano Materials and Interfaces Lab - Dr. Travis S. Hu, ME
- BioTiM: Biomedical engineering of soft Tissue and implants Modelling, Dr. Mathias Brieu, ME and MSE
- Combustion Lab ‒ Dr. Jeffery Santner, ME
- High-Temperature Materials Laboratory, Dr. Adel Sharif, ME and MSE
- Mad Scientists Laboratory, Dr. Samuel Landsberger, ME
- Multi-Physics in Robotics Laboratory ‒ Dr. Arman Pazouki, ME
- Robotics Laboratory, Dr. He Shen, ME
- Sustainable Technology Lab ‒ Dr. John Christopher Bachman, ME
- Thermo-fluids Systems Laboratory, Dr. Arturo Pacheco-Vega, ME
Interdisciplinary Research Centers
Cal State LA offers students a broad spectrum of interdisciplinary research opportunities. This allows students to explore a subject by drawing on various perspectives and methodologies from other disciplines.
CREST Center for Energy and Sustainability (CEAS)
The concept of sustainable energy research, as realized by CEaS, involves a multi-disciplinary effort to address issues of making existing energy technologies more efficient while pursuing emerging alternate energy technologies that are not reliant on fossil fuels. We conduct transformative research to promote energy diversity, efficiency, and sustainability while training diverse and talented engineers and scientists to catalyze change in this field. We also engage policymakers, schools, and the public to ensure that technological advances are robust, widely understood, and adopted. Visit NSF-CREST Center for Energy and Sustainability.
NASA Data-Intensive Research and Education Center for STEM
The NASA DIRECT-STEM Program has an overarching goal of recruiting highly competitive, historically under-represented students, giving them direct NASA research experience in scientific computing and data analysis, and inspiring them to become future leaders in STEM-related professions. Visit NASA DIRECT STEM.
Partnership for Research and Education in Materials (PREM)
The Cal State LA PREM program, in partnership with the MRSEC Center for Nanoscale Science at Penn State University (PSU), enhances the research and education of students in materials science and engineering at Cal State LA. Its focus is on mentoring, guiding, and training undergraduate and master’s students for careers in the field via a comprehensive scientific and educational program. Research projects students undertake provide them a broad interdisciplinary experience in materials science in chemistry, physics, and mechanical engineering thereby reflecting the current research and development industrial environment. The newly established Master’s of Science Degree in Materials Science and Engineering will serve as a bridge for Cal State LA students to continue on to Ph.D. studies at PSU or other leading institutions, or seek employment in the field after graduation. Visit PREM Cal State LA.
Sikand Center for Sustainable and Intelligent Infrastructure (SITI-Center)
The Sikand SITI-Center enables the creation of infrastructure and an ecosystem to support many faculty members, and help to facilitate the process of pre and post-awards. The center director and staff will make sure that faculty can focus on their research and producing valuable scientific outcomes (with the engagement of undergraduate and graduate students) while relying on a research infrastructure within the College. Visit the Sikand SITI Center.