I am currently an Associate Professor and founder of the Robotics Laboratory at California State University, Los Angeles. My research focuses on addressing challenges in the field of robotics and control. The Robotics Laboratory is located in Engineering and Technology Building C 153 (C)(E)(F), where you can find various robotics systems we have developed including the humanoid Melo, submarine Eagle series, unmanned air vehicles, small legged robots, and various soft robots. I also advise two student organizations (ASME and Robosub) in developing robots for competitions. Here are some links for you to learn more about us and our research projects:
Research group page: http://calstatela-robotics.weebly.com/
- 2020 - now, Associate Professor, California State University, Los Angeles
- 2015 - 2020, Assistant Professor, California State University, Los Angeles
- 2014, Ph.D., Mechanical Engineering, University of Central Florida
- Bio-inspired flight control of small unmanned air vehicles
- Control of smart materials and structures
- 2013, M.S., Aerospace Engineering, University of Central Florida
- 2011, M.S., Control Theory and Applications, Northwestern Polytechnical University
- 2008, B.S., Automation, Northwestern Polytechnical University
- Robotics and Autonomous Systems || humanoid, unmanned air vehicles, submarines, manipulators, soft-robot.
- Control and Optimization || motion control, trajectory optimization, robust control, adaptive control, learning control, system identification.
- Mechatronics and Instrumentation || embedded systems and microcontrollers, sensors, actuators.
- Modeling and Simulation || mathematical modeling, matlab/simulink, robot operating system, c++/c, python.
- Image Processing and Computer Vision || feature extraction, image registration, visual tracking, object recognition, machine learning.
COURSES I TEACH
- ME 2010 - Statics;
- ME 2040 - Circuit Analysis for Mechanical Engineers;
- ME 3200 - Dynamics;
- ME 4110 - Vibration Analysis;
- ME 4120 - Mechanical Control System;
- ME 4810 - Introduction to Robotics;
- ME 5210 - Dynamic System Analysis;
- ME 5220 - Optimal Control.
- 2020, Faculty Mentor Honoree, California State University, Los Angeles.
- 2017, Exceptional Levels of Service to Students Award, California State University, Los Angeles.
- 2014, Outstanding Dissertation Award, College of Engineering and Computer Science, University of Central Florida.
- L. Qi, H. Yi, J. Luo, D. Zhang, and H. Shen, Embedded printing trace planning for aluminum droplets depositing on dissolvable supports with varying section, Robotics and Computer-Integrated Manufacturing, Vol. 63, 2020, pp. 101898.
- J. Kuo, K. Pan, N. Li, and H. Shen, Wind Farm Yaw Optimization via Random Search Algorithm, Energies, Vol. 13, issue 4, 2020, pp. 865.
- H. Shen, J. Iorio, N. Li, “Sliding Mode Control in Backstepping Framework for a Class of Nonlinear Systems”, Journal of Marine Science and Technology, Vol. 7, issue 12, 2019, pp. 452.
- Q. Liu, H. Li, Y. Zhang, H. Shen, and Z. Zhao, “Messily grown nanowires: Simulation, geometrical characteristics and microstructural dynamics”, Materials & Design, Vol. 160, 2018, pp. 119-130.
- J. Luo, W. Wang, W. Xiong, H. Shen, and L. Qi, “Formation of uniform metal traces using alternate droplet printing”, International Journal of Machine Tools and Manufacture, Vol. 122, 2017, pp. 47-54.
- Z. Ling, Y. Liang, Y. Wang, H. Shen, and X. Lu, “Adaptive transmission compensation via human visual system for efficient single image dehazing”, The Visual Computer, Vol. 32, Issue 5, 2016, pp 653–662.
- Z. Ling, Y. Liang, Y. Wang, H. Shen, and X. Lu, Adaptive extended piecewise histogram equalisation for dark image enhancement”, IET Image Processing, Vol. 9, Issue 11, 2015, pp. 1012 – 1019.
- H. Shen, K. Thompson, Y. Xu, A. Mark, F. Liang, J. Gou, B. Mabbott, “Platform for real-time monitor and control of electrically actuated shape memory polymer nanocomposite structures”, IEEE/ASME Transactions on Mechatronics, 99, 2015, pp. 1-11.
- H. Shen, A. Mark, K. Thompson, Y. Xu, F. Liang, J. Gou, B. Mabbott, “Thermal modeling and property identification of shape memory polymer nanocomposits”, Applied Physics Letters, 106 (8), 2015, pp. 081907-11.
- H. Shen, Y. Xu, and B. T. Dickinson, “Fault tolerant attitude control for small unmanned aircraft systems equipped with an airflow sensor array,” Bioinspiration & Biomimetics, 9 (4), 2014, pp. 046015.
- H. Shen, Y. Xu, and B. T. Dickinson, “Micro air vehicle’s attitude control using real-time pressure and shear information,” Journal of Aircraft, 51 (2), 2014, pp. 661-671.
- H. Shen, Y. Xu, F. Liang, J. Gou, and B. Mabbott, “Recovery torque modelling of carbon fiber reinforced shape memory polymer nanocomposites,” Applied Physics Letters, 103 (20), 2013, pp. 201903.
- H. Shen, Y. Xu, and C. Remeikas, “Pitch control of a micro air vehicle with micropressure sensors,” Journal of Aircraft, 50 (1), 2013, pp. 239-248.
- N. Li, A. Fatahi, D. Lee, J. Kuo, H. Shen, “Wind effects on power generation of solar farm in California”, Proceedings of the ASME 2019 IMECE, Salt Lake City, UT, November 11-14, 2019.
- N. Li, S. Kim, J. Lin, B. Torre, M. Wong, H. Shen, V. Patel, “Mechanical design of distributed solar sail deployment systems”, Proceedings of the ASME 2019 IMECE, Salt Lake City, UT, November 11-14, 2019.
- J. Kuo, N. Li, and H. Shen, “A feasibility study of wind farm yaw angle optimization”, Proceedings of the ASME 2019 IMECE, Salt Lake City, UT, November 11-14, 2019.
- S. Gibeault, J. Iorio, J. Santillan, H. Shen, M. Tufenkjian, Practical application of robotics competition for STEM education, 126th ASEE Annual Conference & Exposition, Tampa, FL, June 15 - 19, 2019.
- H. Shen, N. Li, J. Dong, N. Warter-Perez, “Iterative Improvement in Flipped Classroom Teaching of Lower Division Engineering Courses,” Proceedings of the 2019 ASEE PSW Conference, Los Angeles, CA, April 4-6, 2019.
- N. Li, N. Warter-Perez, H. Shen, “A self-assessment based homework model”, Proceedings of the 2019 ASEE PSW Conference, Los Angeles, CA, April 4-6, 2019.
- H. Shen, S. Rojas, E. Molina, F. Galicia, and N. Li, “Development of a light-weight anthropomorphic robotic arm for a humanoid,” ASME International Mechanical Engineering Congress and Exposition, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA. November 9–15, 2018.
- S. Rojas, H. Shen, H. Griffiths, N. Li, and L. Zhang, “Motion and gesture compliance control for high performance of a wheeled humanoid robot, ASME 2017 International Mechanical Engineering Congress and Exposition, Tampa, Florida, USA, November 3–9, 2017.
- N. Li, H. Shen, J. Lin, C. Tang, A. Ghobrial, M. Kwong, and J. Mendoza “ Development of an automatic thermal, electrical, and mechanical test platform for polymer-derived ceramics, ASME 2017 International Mechanical Engineering Congress and Exposition, Tampa, Florida, USA, November 3–9, 2017.
- H. Shen, N. Li, H. Griffths, and S. Rojas, “Tracking control of a small unmanned air vehicle with airflow awareness", American Control Conference, 24-26 May, 2017, Seattle, WA.
- H. Griffiths, H. Shen, N. Li, S. Rojas, N. Perkins, and M. Liu, “Vineyard management in virtual reality: autonomous control of a transformable drone”, Proc. SPIE 10218, Autonomous Air and Ground Sensing Systems for Agricultural Optimization and Phenotyping II, Vol. 102180, May 16, 2017, Anaheim CA.
- H. Shen, N. Li, S. Rojas, and L. Zhang, “Multi-Robot Cooperative Hunting”, 2016 International Conference on Collaboration Technologies and Systems, October 30-November 4, 2016, Orlando, FL.
- H. Shen, Y. Xu, F. Liang, J. Gou, and B. Mabbott, “Modeling of conductive shape memory polymer nanocomposites based structure from a control perspective,” ASME 2013 Conference on Smart Materials, Adaptive Structures and Intelligent System, September 16-18, 2013, Snowbird, Utah.
- H. Shen, and Y. Xu, “Pressure and shear information based three-axis attitude control for a micro air vehicle,” AIAA Guidance, Navigation, and Control Conference (GNC), Boston, MA, August 19-22, 2013.
- H. Shen, Y. Xu, and C. Remeikas, “Hardware design and validation of pitching control for micro air vehicles using only pressure information,” American Control Conference (ACC), Washington, DC, June 17-19, 2013, pp. 5568-5573.
- H. Shen, Y. Xu, and C. Remeikas, “Pressure sensor array based nonlinear robust pitch control for small or micro aerial vehicle,” American Control Conference (ACC), Montreal, Canada, June 27-29, 2012, pp. 1732-1736.