I am currently an assistant professor at California State Unversity, Los Angeles. My reasearch interests are dynamics and controls; robotics and autonomous systems; modeling and simulation; mechatronics and instrument; image processing and computer vision.
Student assistant positions are available. Please contact me through email or visit my office.
I like teaching a variaty of courses in mechanical engineering, including
- Circuit Analysis/Mechanical Measurments and Instrumentation
- Mechanical Control System;
- Introduction to Robotics.
- Multi-function unmanned aerial robot
- Telepresence/delievery robot
- Submarine robot design
- 2015-present, American Society of Mechanial Engineering (ASME) Cal State LA Section
- 2016-present, Robosub Club
- H. Shen, K. Thompson, Y. Xu, A. Mark, F. Liang, J. Gou, B. Mabbott, “Platform for real-time monitor and control of electrically actuated shape memory polymer nanocomposite structures”, IEEE/ASME Transactions on Mechatronics, 99, 2015, pp. 1-11.
- H. Shen, A. Mark, K. Thompson, Y. Xu, F. Liang, J. Gou, B. Mabbott, “Thermal modeling and property identification of shape memory polymer nanocomposits”, Applied Physics Letters, 106 (8), 2015, pp. 081907-11.
- H. Shen, Y. Xu, and B. T. Dickinson, “Fault tolerant attitude control for small unmanned aircraft systems equipped with an airflow sensor array,” Bioinspiration & Biomimetics, 9 (4), 2014, pp. 046015.
- H. Shen, Y. Xu, and B. T. Dickinson, “Micro air vehicle’s attitude control using real-time pressure and shear information,” Journal of Aircraft, 51 (2), 2014, pp. 661-671.
- H. Shen, Y. Xu, F. Liang, J. Gou, and B. Mabbott, “Recovery torque modelling of carbon fiber reinforced shape memory polymer nanocomposites,” Applied Physics Letters, 103 (20), 2013, pp. 201903.
- H. Shen, Y. Xu, and C. Remeikas, “Pitch control of a micro air vehicle with micropressure sensors,” Journal of Aircraft, 50 (1), 2013, pp. 239-248.
- H. Shen, Y. Xu, F. Liang, J. Gou, and B. Mabbott, “Modeling of conductive shape memory polymer nanocomposites based structure from a control perspective,” ASME 2013 Conference on Smart Materials, Adaptive Structures and Intelligent System, September 16-18, 2013, Snowbird, Utah.
- H. Shen, and Y. Xu, “Pressure and shear information based three-axis attitude control for a micro air vehicle,” AIAA Guidance, Navigation, and Control Conference (GNC), Boston, MA, August 19-22, 2013.
- H. Shen, Y. Xu, and C. Remeikas, “Hardware design and validation of pitching control for micro air vehicles using only pressure information,” American Control Conference (ACC), Washington, DC, June 17-19, 2013, pp. 5568-5573.
- H. Shen, Y. Xu, and C. Remeikas, “Pressure sensor array based nonlinear robust pitch control for small or micro aerial vehicle,” American Control Conference (ACC), Montreal, Canada, June 27-29, 2012, pp. 1732-1736.
University of Central Florida, Orlando, FL
Ph.D., Mechanical Engineering, 2014
M.S., Aerospace Engineering, 2013
Northwestern Polytechnical University, Xi'an, China
M.S., Electrical Engineering (Control Science and Engineering), 2011
- B.S., Electrical Engineering (Automation Control), 2008