Malicious Software on Web Sites
Internet security experts warn against malicious software (malware) that may be planted on Web sites. When downloading these pages, or clicking links on them, security vulnerabilities may be exploited that allow hackers to download Trojan horses, viruses, or worms onto the user's machine. Users should do the following:
- Be cautious when surfing the Internet. Visit only trusted sites.
- Update your browser's security patches regularly on your home/personal computers and laptops. University computers will be updated as soon as patches are released and tested.
- Update your anti-virus software daily or every time you start your computer.
- Consider changing your browser's configuration to turn off Active Scripting, or to prompt before allowing it to run.
- Consider using a malicious software removal tool on your computer.