Cybersecurity Awareness Month – observed every October – was developed with the purpose of raising awareness about the importance of cybersecurity and ensures that all individuals and organizations have the information and tools they need to be cyber safe and more secure.
This year’s campaign theme — “Stay Cyber Safe” — demonstrates that while cybersecurity may seem like a complex subject, ultimately, it’s really all about people. Cybersecurity can seem overwhelming, but remember, there are many ways to keep your data and online presence protected. Whether on the job, at home or at school, you can make a huge difference – now and in the future.
Throughout the month of October, Cal State LA will host events that include a Cybersecurity Poster Contest, Cybersecurity Promotion Booth with Phishing Quiz Games, and Cybersecurity Webinars from guest speakers. We invite you to join us for a month of interactive, engaging, and fun activities to boost your cybersecurity knowledge and skills. Be sure to check back regularly for new announcements!
Do Your Part. Stay Cyber Safe.
To view the California State University System-wide events for Cybersecurity Awareness Month, please visit the CSU Chancellor's Office website.
- There is a CSU-wide Cybersecurity Poster Contest with a chance to win prizes for CSU students. Please refer to the section below for further details.
- For those interested in Cybersecurity careers, please read the following article by the CSU: Preparing the Next Cyber Defenders
Cal State LA Local Cybersecurity Awareness Month Events in October 2023
- Week 1 - Recognizing and Reporting Phishing Tips. | Learn how to report incidents to ITS.
- Week 2 - Turn on Multi-Factor Authentication. Learn more on Activating DUO (2-Step Verification). Cybersecurity Promotion Booth outside of Library North of Tuesday, October 10th, between 9 AM and 4 PM.
- Week 3 - Use strong passwords and a password manager. Register for our CISO's Security Community of Practice Webinar on Zoom on Wednesday, October 18th, at 12 PM. Cybersecurity Promotion Booth outside of Library North on Thursday, October 19th, between 9 AM and 4 PM.
- Week 4 - Patching and Updating Software Tips.
Cybersecurity Awareness 2023 Webinars
The California State University is providing webinars on various topics for Cybersecurity Awareness Month 2023. All are welcome to join and learn more.
|University||Sessions||Date & Time
||Extended Education Technology Series Higher Education AI Summit||October 5, 2023 @ 3pm||Join Webinar|
|Women in Cybersecurity (WiCys)||October 17, 2023 @ 1:30pm||Join Webinar|
|CSUMB||Sophos | Chat GPT in the Age of Cybercrime
Speaker: Chester Wisniewski
|October 18, 2023 @ 10am||Join Webinar|
||Security Webinar - Stay Safe Online||October 18, 2023 @ Noon
||Watch Recorded Webinar|
|CSULB||Splunk | Phishing with Mick Baccio||October 19, 2023 @ 10am - 11am||Join Webinar|
|CO Chancellor's Office||Lunch-n-Learn Zoom: Phishing Awareness||October 19, 2023 @ 12pm||Watch Recorded Webinar|
|CSUCI||FBI | Internships & Careers||October 20, 2023 @ 1-3pm||Join Webinar|
|CSULB||CrowdStrike | Higher Ed Threat Brief with Tina Thorstenson||October 24, 2023 @ 10am - 11am||Join Webinar|
|CSULB||Microsoft with John Dellinger||October 25, 2023 @ 11am - 12pm||Join Webinar|
|CSUCI, CSULB, CSU Chico||CompTIA | Cybersecurity Professional Diaries
||October 26, 2023 @ 11am - Noon||Join Webinar|
|CO Chancellor's Office||Lunch-n-Learn Zoom: Vendor 3rd Party Risk||October 31, 2023 @ 12pm||Join Webinar|
Cybersecurity Poster Contest
Poster Contest Information 2023
Participate in a CSU-wide contest that focuses on cybersecurity. It is an opportunity to educate event attendees about a cybersecurity topic. Contestants are welcome to choose any topic that is related to cybersecurity. Click here for more information
Examples topics may include:
- The Ethics of AI in Cybersecurity
- Surveillance Technologies and Vulnerabilities
- The Role of Regulation and Technology
Deadline: September 29, 2023 by 5pm
IT Security & Compliance Team in Action - Cybersecurity Promotion Booth
Cal State LA's IT Security & Compliance team held a Cybersecurity Promotion Booth to spread awareness on phishing scams, strong password requirements, and DUO. You can also have the chance to win amazing prizes when you ask information about cyber security and how you can be cyber safe!