2022 Cybersecurity Awareness Month
A Message From Our CIO
Cybersecurity Awareness Month – observed every October – was developed with the purpose of raising awareness about the importance of cybersecurity and ensures that all individuals and organizations have the information and tools they need to be cyber safe and more secure.
This year’s campaign theme — “See Yourself in Cyber” — demonstrates that while cybersecurity may seem like a complex subject, ultimately, it’s really all about people. Cybersecurity can seem overwhelming, but remember, there are many ways to keep your data and online presence protected. Whether on the job, at home or at school, you can make a huge difference – now and in the future.
Throughout the month of October, Cal State LA will host events that include a Cybersecurity Poster Contest, Cybersecurity Promotion Booth with Phishing Quiz Games, and Cybersecurity Webinars from guest speakers. We invite you to join us for a month of interactive, engaging, and fun activities to boost your cybersecurity knowledge and skills. Be sure to check back regularly for new announcements!
Do Your Part. #BeCyberSmart.
To view the California State University System-wide events for Cybersecurity Awareness Month, please visit the CSU Chancellor's Office website.
- There is a CSU-wide Cybersecurity Poster Contest with a chance to win prizes for CSU students. Please refer to the section below for further details.
- For those interested in Cybersecurity careers, please read the following article by the CSU: Preparing the Next Cyber Defenders.
Cal State LA Local Cybersecurity Awareness Month Events in October 2022
- Week 1 - Cybersecurity Promotion Booth outside of Library on October 6th, between 9 AM and 3 PM.
- Week 2 - Join the Cofense Security Presentation on October 14th, between 10 AM and 11 AM via this Zoom link.
- Week 3 - Cybersecurity Promotion Booth outside of Library on October 19th, between 9 AM and 3 PM. Join Splunk's Security Webinar on Data Protection by registering via this Zoom link on October 19th, between 10 AM and 11 AM.
- Week 4 - Join FBI Financial and Cyber Crime Webinar on Financial Crimes on October 24th, between 10 AM and 11 AM via this Zoom link. Join Obtiv's Cyber Webinar on October 28th, between 9 AM and 10 AM by registering via this Zoom link.
Cybersecurity Awareness Month Multimedia Contest 2022
Participate in a CSU-wide multimedia contest that focuses on cybersecurity. Create a poster that explains what cybersecurity means to you and what actions to take to safeguard your devices and personal information. Examples may include enabling multi-factor authentication, using strong passwords, phishing awareness, etc.
Please see the submission details and rules on this link from the CSU Chancellor's Office.
Deadline: December 1, 2022 by 5pm
IT Security & Compliance Team in Action - Cybersecurity Promotion Booth
Cal State LA's IT Security & Compliance team held a Cybersecurity Promotion Booth to spread awareness on phishing scams and other cybersecurity techniques. Students were able to enter a raffle to win free Cal State LA prizes!