The application process is centralized at the university and requires THREE steps as described below:
1. Apply Online at Cal State Apply (For Fall 2018 Semester: October 1st, 2017 - February 15th, 2018)
2. Complete the Department Supplemental Application (Within two weeks of Cal State Apply Application submission, application to follow).
3. Submit official academic records/transcripts to the Admissions Office within two weeks of university application submission.
- If you have studied at an institution outside of the US, you will need to have your foreign academic work evaluated by International Education Research Foundation (IERF) or World Education Services (WES) for securing admission into the program.
- IERF - Visit https://apply.ierf.org/ to create an online application requesting the "Detailed Report”. The foreign evaluation fee is $165 (USD). When submitting your course work to IERF please make sure to indicate that you were referred by "CSU Los Angeles- Graduate Admissions" and that you would like to have the official agency copy of the evaluation report sent directly to CSU Los Angeles-Graduate Admissions.
- WES - Visit http://www.wes.org/fees/evaltypes.asp to create an online application, you will need to order the course-by-course evaluation report. $160 for the WES Basic or $205 for the WES ICAP
- For steps on how to submit your foreign academic records to these agencies, click here.
1. Graduate Record Exam (GRE) score is NOT required (for Mechanical Engineering Program). However, GRE score can be considered in the admission process and can also exempt graduate students from (GWAR) Graduate Writing Assessment Requirement UNIV 4000 if have a score of 4 on the analytic writing portion of the GRE or GMAT (For more information please visit the following website: GWAR).
2. Letters of Recommendations are NOT require (only upon department request for certain circumstances)
3. Applicants must possess a bachelor's degree in Mechanical Engineering or a related field with a GPA of 3.0 or better. A promising applicant with a GPA between 2.5 and 2.99 may be admitted as a special action student. Prerequisite courses may be required for students with a non-Mechanical Engineering bachelor's degree, for students from non-ABET accredited Mechanical Engineering programs, or for special action students.
4. Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) is required for students who do not possess a bachelor's degree from an institution where English is the principle language of instruction. A score of 80 ibt or higher is required. (For additional information please visit the following website: Language Proficiency Requirement)
5. Currently, there are no teaching or research assistantships offered through the Department of Mechanical Engineering. Refer to the Center for Financial aid for financial assistance available from federal, state and institutional sources at Cal State L.A.
6. Go to Student Handbook for more information on the graduate program in Mechanical Engineering.
7. Go to University Admission: FAQs page for more detailed information about the university graduate admission.
After Admission FAQs
1. Note that the applicants who meet all the University requirements are admitted in one of the four following categories: Graduate Classified, Graduate Conditionally Classified, Post-Baccalaureate Classified and Post – Baccalaureate Unclassified. (For more information please visit the following website: Graduate and Post-baccalaureate Admission Requirement)
2. The Mechanical Engineering Department will conduct advisement/orientation sessions for new incoming graduate students to set up a study plan and determine which prerequisites courses must be taken prior to beginning any courses for your graduate program. (Advisement/orientation dates for New Incoming Graduate Students for Spring 2018 semester will be announced soon!)
3.The Principal Graduate advisor in the Mechanical Engineering Department is Dr. Pacheco-Vega. Other graduate advisors are Dr. Travis Hu and Dr. Arman Pazouki.
Questions Regarding ME Graduate Admissions Contact us: ECSTGradAdmission@calstatela.edu