Deadline: Friday, June 12, 2020
If you can’t fly, then run. If you can’t run, then walk. If you can’t walk then crawl, but whatever you do, you have to keep moving forward.” – Martin Luther King Jr.
The Summer Transition to ECST Program (STEP) is a program for all incoming freshmen in the College of Engineering, Computer Science, and Technology majoring in Pre-Engineering majors and Pre-Computer Science. Committed to “keep moving forward,” the College of ECST will continue providing incoming freshmen with the support and preparation needed before the start of Fall 2020. STEP will be offered this summer using remote learning methods that students can access from the comfort of their own home and time.
Program Dates: Wednesday, July 2 - Wednesday, July 29, 2020
Location & Time: Students can learn from the comfort of their own home and time.
Webinars: STEP Information Sessions (for students and parents/guardians):
- Friday, June 19, 2020 11:00 a.m. - 12:30 p.m.
- Saturday, June 20, 2020 11:00 a.m. - 12:30 p.m.
You only need to attend one session. Please select the one that best fits your schedule. The webinar link will be sent by email one day before.
STEP Parent/Guardian Zoom Meeting (Zoom link will be emailed to the student):
- Friday, June 19, 2020 6:00 p.m. - 7:30 p.m.
- Saturday, June 20, 2020 6:00 p.m. - 7:30 p.m.
You only need to attend one session. Please select the one that best fits your schedule. The Parent/Guardian sessions will be in English and Spanish. The webinar link will be sent by email one day before.
STEP is a program for all incoming freshmen in the College of Engineering, Computer Science, and Technology majoring in Pre-Engineering and Pre-Computer Science.
The purpose of STEP is to prepare Pre-Engineering and Pre-Computer Science incoming freshmen to be successful in their course of study at Cal State LA by facilitating the transition from high school to college, reinforcing and/or developing math skills necessary to meet ECST major requirements, and building community. Students meet other students in their college, connect with ECST student organizations, obtain general information about the campus, and begin their relationship with their academic advisors and faculty.
Goals and Objectives
- Effectively prepare students for the challenge of college work in mathematics and success through targeted instruction.
- Increase the retention and graduation rates of undergraduate students and improve their time-to-degree completion.
- Provide students with the necessary skills to help them evolve effectively academically and personally.
- Graduate the highest-potential, career-ready ECST students.
The goals are to be met through the following objectives:
- Require Pre-Engineering and Pre-Computer Science incoming freshmen who placed in Math Category I and II to attend.
- Assess student’s math readiness through ALEKS PPL and provide each student and their corresponding instructor with a report summarizing their strengths and weaknesses in math.
- Cohort students based on their first assessment score and individual needs.
- Connect participants with student leaders, student organizations, advisors, and faculty.
- Provide students with the skills to help them evolve and become more effective in their personal lives.
Step General Information
HOW ARE STUDENTS PLACED INTO STEP?
When students are admitted to Cal State LA, the university looks at a variety of measures to determine their Math and English placement category. CSU places students into one of four categories in Math and English. STEP is required for all Fall 2020 incoming freshmen majoring in Pre-Engineering and Pre-Computer Science in the College of ECST who place in the following two Math Categories:
Category 1 - GE Requirement Completed: Students have already fulfilled the General Education requirement in Math. Most of the students in Category 1 received a passing score on the AP or IB exam, and received credit for the college course. All students planning to take the AP Calculus Exam or who already took it and have not received their score, should complete a STEP application as soon as possible to secure a space in the program. Category 1 students are not required to take Early Start.
Category 2 - Academic support course not needed with GE course: Students are ready to take the freshmen-level GE course in Math (College Level Math). College level math is NOT Calculus 1. In order for ECST incoming freshmen to start in Calculus 1, they must attend STEP and place in Math 2110 by the end of the program. Category 2 students are not required to take Early Start.
Note: Students coming into the College of ECST in Math Category 3 or 4 will NOT participate in STEP.
EXEMPTIONS FROM STEP
The following students are exempt from participating in STEP:
- Students who have earned college credit for Calculus 1.
- Students who earned a score of 4 or higher on the AP Calculus AB or BC.
- Students who placed in Math Category 3 and Math Category 4.
- Students who will participate in a summer program offered by EOP.
HOW DO I KNOW IF I AM ELIGIBLE TO PARTICIPATE IN STEP?
Expect to receive a formal invitation to STEP in May via email from the College of ECST once your Math Placement Category explained above has been verified.
WHAT DO I NEED TO DO TO PARTICIPATE IN 2020 REMOTE STEP?
1. Enrollment Confirmation Deposit: Accept your Cal State LA offer of admission no later than May 15th by submitting your Enrollment Confirmation Deposit (ECD).
2. STEP 2019 Application: Complete the 2020 Remote STEP Application
3. Attend one of the Virtual STEP Orientations:
- Friday, June 19, 2020 11:00 a.m. - 12:30 p.m. OR 6:30 p.m. - 8:00 p.m.
- Saturday, June 20, 2020 11:00 a.m. - 12:30 p.m.
5. Check your email and voicemail regularly. More information is forthcoming via the email address and phone number you’ve provided to the admissions office. This is the information we will use to communicate with you. If this information has changed, it is crucial that we hear back from you as soon as possible so that we may effectively communicate with you in the upcoming weeks.
Contact: For additional information regarding STEP, to discuss specific concerns, or set up a phone appointment, please contact Frances Hidalgo, Director, ECST Student Success Center (ESSC) at [email protected]