Summer Transition to ECST Program (STEP)
The Summer Transition to ECST Program (STEP) is for all incoming freshmen in the College of Engineering, Computer Science, and Technology majoring in Pre-Engineering, Pre-Computer Science, and Pre-Engineering Technology.
The College of ECST will continue providing incoming freshmen with the support and preparation needed before the start of Fall 2023. STEP will be offered this summer Cal State LA campus.
STEP is by invitation only. Information on how to apply will be emailed to eligible incoming freshmen in the College of ECST as soon as your eligibility is verified and we receive your Enrollment Confirmation Deposit (ECD). Please check your Cal State LA email and your preferred email address for the invitation.
STEP is for all eligible incoming freshmen in the College of ECST, majoring in Pre-Engineering, Pre-Computer Science, and Pre-Engineering Technology.
STEP prepares Pre-Engineering, Pre-Computer Science, and Pre-Engineering Technology incoming freshmen to be successful in their course of study at Cal State LA by facilitating the transition from high school to college, reinforcing and developing math skills necessary to meet ECST major requirements, and building community.
Students meet other students in their college, connect with ECST student organizations, obtain general information about the campus, and begin their relationships with their academic advisors and faculty.
GOALS AND OBJECTIVES
What are the goals of STEP?
- Effectively prepare students for the challenge of college work in mathematics and success through targeted instruction.
- Increase the retention and graduation rates of undergraduate students and improve their time-to-degree completion.
- Provide students with the necessary skills to help them evolve effectively academically and personally.
- Graduate the highest-potential, career-ready ECST students.
The goals are to be met through the following objectives:
- Invite Pre-Engineering, Pre-Computer Science, and Pre-Engineering Technology incoming freshmen who placed in Math Category I and II to attend.
- Assess student's math readiness through ALEKS PPL and provide each student and their corresponding instructor with a report summarizing their strengths and weaknesses in math.
- Cohort students based on their first assessment score and individual needs.
- Connect participants with student leaders, student organizations, advisors, and faculty.
- Provide students with the skills to help them evolve and become more effective in their personal lives.
STEP GENERAL INFORMATION
HOW ARE STUDENTS PLACED INTO STEP?
When students are admitted to Cal State LA, the university looks at various measures to determine their Math and English placement category. CSU places students into one of four categories in Math and English. STEP is required for all eligible Fall 2023 incoming freshmen majoring in Pre-Engineering, Pre-Computer Science, and Pre-Engineering Technology in the College of ECST who place in Math Category I and II.
IMPORTANT: Students who place in Math Category III or IV will not participate in STEP. Instead, they will participate in Summer Connections.
EXEMPTIONS FROM STEP
The following students are exempt from participating in STEP:
- Students who have earned college credit for Calculus 1.
- Students who earned a score of 4 or higher on the AP Calculus AB or BC.
- Students who placed in Math Category IV are required to participate in Early Start.
- Students who placed in Math Category III and who choose to participate in Early Start instead of STEP.
- EOP students who will participate in EOP Summer Bridge.
HOW DO I KNOW IF I AM ELIGIBLE TO PARTICIPATE IN STEP?
If you are not sure about your math placement category, do not worry! We got you! Expect to receive a formal invitation to STEP 2023 in May via email from the College of ECST once your math placement category has been verified and as soon as you pay your Enrollment Confirmation Deposit (ECD), which is due by May 1, 2023
WHAT DO I NEED TO PARTICIPATE IN STEP 2023?
- Enrollment Confirmation Deposit: Pay your Enrollment Confirmation Deposit (ECD).
- STEP 2023 Application: Complete the 2023 Remote STEP Application
- Attend one of the STEP Information Sessions for students and parents:
SATURDAY • JUNE 17 from 8:30 a.m. - 10:00 p.m.
SATURDAY • JUNE 17 from 10:30 a.m. - 12:00 p.m.
- Check your email and voicemail regularly. More information is forthcoming via the email address and phone number you’ve provided to the admissions office. This is the information we will use to communicate with you. If this information has changed, it is crucial that we hear back from you as soon as possible so that we may effectively communicate with you in the upcoming weeks.
Contact: For additional information regarding STEP, to discuss specific concerns, or set up a phone appointment, please contact the ECST Student Success Center (ESSC) at [email protected], and one of the professional staff will be glad to help answer your questions and address your concerns.
STEP 2023 JULY 5 - AUGUST 2
Students will participate in a four-week in-person program at the Cal State LA campus.
KEY DATES @ A GLANCE
WED • JUNE 14, 2023
WED • JULY 5 - WED • AUG 2
Location & Time
Cal State LA Campus 9:00 - 3:00 p.m.
SAT • JUNE 17
STEP Information Sessions
Please select the date and time that best fits your schedule.
You only need to attend ONE session.
|Saturday • June 17||8:30 a.m. - 10:00 a.m.||ASCB-132|
|Saturday • June 17||10:30 a.m. - 12:00 p.m.||ASCB-132|
ASCB = Wallis Annenberg Integrated Science Complex-Wing B
Click to view location on the University Map
The information sessions are for students and parents/guardians. Please contact us with any STEP questions or concerns. We're here to make sure you feel confident and ready to start STEP and join the Cal State LA, ECST family!
Frequently Asked Questions
Is STEP mandatory?
Yes. STEP is required for all eligible pre-engineering, pre-computer science, and pre-engineering technology incoming freshmen in the College of Engineering, Computer Science, and Technology to start curriculum ready.
What happens if I do not attend STEP?
STEP gives you the opportunity to start in Calculus I, which is the desired starting point for your major. Without STEP, you may not be able to start on track for timely graduation.
What are the dates for STEP?
July 5 – August 2, 2023, Monday through Friday. The program will take place in-person from 9:00 a.m. – 3:00 p.m.
Is STEP free?
Yes, STEP instruction is free for all students. However, students will need to provide their own meals, laptop, transportation, and parking.
Will my Calculus Advanced Placement score exempt me from STEP?
Yes. An AP score of 4 or above in Calculus AB will exempt you from STEP. If you do not know your score yet, make sure to register for STEP. When you receive your score and verify that you are eligible for an exemption, please communicate with our office.
If exempt from STEP, you may want to consider participating in one of the Calculus I Preparation Workshops for review and to meet other students in your college. These workshops will take place remotely on the following days and times.
Calculus I Preparation Workshops:
These workshops are for the following students.
1) who place in Calc I through ALEKS assessment #I or #2: and/or
2) pass the AP Calculus Exam with a 3 or higher.
Wed., July 5 - Thur, July 13
|9:00 a.m. - 1.00 a.m.||Remote via Zoom|
Wed., July 24 - Wed., August ??
9:00 a.m. - 11:00 a.m.
|Remote via Zoom|
Will I be excused from the program to attend an appointment or another activity?
Yes. If you need to attend an appointment (i.e., doctor appointment) or another activity (Golden Eagle Orientation), you will be excused from attending STEP on that day. Make sure to communicate with your instructor if you will be out of class.
My friend/sibling did not get invited to participate in STEP; may I share the information with him?
No, we would rather that you do not because participation in STEP is by invitation only. Only eligible students based on their math category (Category I or II) are invited. Also, some students may also be required to participate in a different program during the summer. Your friend should contact our office to verify if he/she is eligible to participate in STEP.
I am an EOP student. Will I be able to participate in STEP?
If you are an EOP student, you may be required to attend EOP Summer Bridge, and you may not be able to participate in STEP. Make sure to check with the EOP office.
May I participate in STEP instead of Summer Connections?
No. If you have received an email telling you that you are required to participate in Summer Connections, then you are not eligible to participate in STEP. Please make sure to attend Summer Connections since it is a University requirement for some students.
If I do not have a computer, will I be able to borrow one?
Yes, if you do not have a laptop, you may be able to borrow one through the Dean of Students Office for the duration of the summer program.
For additional information regarding STEP, to discuss specific concerns,
or set up a phone appointment, please contact the professional staff at
ECST Student Success Center (ESSC) at [email protected]