If you're interested in completing an internship during your English program of study at Cal State LA, the first step is to find, apply for, and accept an internship position. Internships are high-impact learning experiences whereby students apply their learning in a professional setting under the mentorship of a practicing professional. English majors often intern for large corporations, non-profit organizations, news outlets, schools, and law firms. They participate in social media management, content creation and design, public relations, communications planning, fundraising, and event planning. Check out these tips for internships from DearEnglishMajor.com
Process for Earning Academic Credit for Your Internships
- Step 1: Reach out to the Department's Faculty Internships Supervisor, Dr. Sarah Minslow, at [email protected].
- Step 2: Find and secure an internship. The Faculty Internship Supervisor and the Career Development Center can provide advice on how to do this.
- Step 3: Complete the Internship Applications & Agreements.
- Step 4: Return both completed forms to the Faculty Internship Supervisor at least one week prior to the beginning of the semester during which you will complete the internship.
- Step 5: If approved, the English Department will send you a permit to register for the Internship Course. You must add the course before the end of the Drop/Add period.
- Step 6: Complete your internship (8-12 hours/week) and complete the coursework in Canvas.
The Faculty Internship Supervisor will host Internship Interest Workshops at least once per semester.
If you want to explore careers for English majors, visit Cal State LA's Career Development Center.
English majors will also enroll in ENGL 3970 Internship Supervision.