Frequently Asked Questions

Click on the topics below to find the answers to a variety of Frequently Asked Questions.

What Housing options are available?

We have numerous options available. Visit Housing Options to learn more.

Do you have accommodations for students with disabilities?

Yes. We have ADA-compliant units at Phase I, II and the Golden Eagles Apartments (GEA), which can accommodate students with mobility, visual and hearing-impaired challenges and other disabilities. If you require special accommodations, please register with the Office for Students with Disabilities (OSD). You can reach them at 323-343-3140 or find additional information on the OSD website.

What amenities are included in my payment to Housing and Residence Life?

South Village, the apartments in Phase I, II and GEA, are fully furnished and have air-conditioning and heat. The utilities included are water, electricity, gas and trash collection. Wi-Fi and streaming services are also included in your rent.

There is a beach volleyball court in Phase II, as well as a game room and computer room in Phase I.

All residents also have access to the Wellness Zone that includes a gym, spin room, meditation rooms, as well as a Learning Center with conference rooms, study rooms, and music rooms.

Do I have to be admitted to apply for on-campus housing?

Yes. Before applying, you need to have been admitted to Cal State LA and have paid your Enrollment Confirmation Deposit. In order to move in, you must also be enrolled as a full-time student.

Is there an age requirement to live on campus?

Yes. The Licensee must be a high school graduate or equivalent, at least 17 years of age, who will turn 18 within the academic-year contract term. If you are not yet 18, you’ll need to fill out the Consent Form for Residents under the age of 18, which can be found under "Forms" in the Housing Portal.

How do I apply to live on campus?

Please visit How to Apply.

When can I apply?

See the table below.


Applications Available Online







When will I know if I have been assigned a space in Housing?

We will send a confirmation to your Cal State LA email approximately two months prior to the start of the semester. If demand has exceeded the number of available spaces, you’ll be placed on a waitlist and be notified as soon as a space becomes available via email to your Cal State LA email account. From the time we send the confirmation email to you, you'll have two days to respond and pay for your space.

I've been put on the waitlist. How will I know if I have a space?

When the demand for housing spaces is higher than what we can accommodate for, we begin to put people on a waitlist. If a spot opens, we offer it to the next prospective student on the list. If you have been placed on the waitlist, we will notify you through your Cal State LA email. If a spot opens up for you, we will also notify you through your Cal State LA email. We appreciate your patience and advise you to check your Cal State LA email regularly for notifications and updates. Make sure our emails don't land in your spam folder.

How do I cancel my License Agreement or Meal Plan?

Students who wish to cancel their Housing License Agreement may request to cancel by logging in to the Housing Portal, going to Forms and filling out the License Agreement Cancellation Request Form.

Students who have not moved in, must fill out the License Agreement Cancellation Request Form.

If you've already moved in, fill out a License Agreement Cancellation Request Form and petition to cancel. Students must meet the conditions as specified in the License Agreement in the section entitled, "Cancellation After Occupancy" [Section III.C.4 (Housing) and/or Section III.E.2 (Meal Plan)].

All cancellation requests must include supporting documentation for the reason for which you are requesting the cancellation. Failure to provide supporting documentation will result in a delay of the petition review process. Petition reviews take one to two weeks after the request form AND supporting documentation have been submitted. If approved for a housing cancellation, you are required to vacate your room and return your assigned keys to the Office of Housing and Residence Life by your expected checkout date. Please know that failure to follow proper checkout procedures will result in being charged improper checkout fees as well as applicable damage/cleaning charges.

How much does it cost to live on campus?

See Rates & Payments.

Can I use my financial aid to pay for housing? How much will it cover?

Yes, you may pay with financial aid. The amount covered depends on how much aid you are awarded. Tuition and fees are deducted first and the remainder can be used towards housing. Financial aid will not cover your security deposit and application fee. To check the status of your financial aid, log into GET. If you have specific questions about financial aid, please contact the Financial Aid Office.

If you have additional Financial Aid after tuition has been covered, it will be automatically applied towards your Housing balance. 

What is covered in the housing fees?

The payment you make to Housing and Residence Life includes the following: rent, trash collection, electricity, water, natural gas, movie and TV streaming, and Wi-Fi. You may purchase a Meal Plan for an additional cost.

How do I purchase a Meal Plan?

A meal plan is mandatory for South Village residents and all first-year residents. Returning residents living in Phase I, II, and GEA may sign up for a meal plan when they apply for Housing or by logging into the Housing Portal. For more information, visit Dining & Meal Plan.

What is the difference between the initial payment and the security deposit? Will I get my deposit back?

The initial payment includes a non-refundable application fee and a security deposit. We keep the deposit in case of damages or other fees until the end of your contract. If there are no fees pending for damages or other reasons, we will return the deposit to you.

How do I buy Renter's Insurance?

Protect your belongings with renter's insurance from GradGuard.

What dining options are available in housing?

The Office of Housing and Residence Life has a newly built Village Market located in South Village. We offer delicious and convenient buffet-style meals to residents and can accommodate dietary restrictions. Visit the Dining and Meal Plan webpage for more information.

How much is a Meal Plan?

See Dining and Meal Plan webpage.

Who should I call in the event of an emergency?

Important numbers in case of emergencies or urgent issues are listed below.

Department Number

For an off-campus emergency, dial 911.


For an on-campus emergency, call the Cal State LA Campus Police


Resident Assistant on Duty for the Apartments


Resident Assistant on Duty for South Village, Tower 2


Resident Assistant on Duty for South Village, Tower 3


Cal State LA Health Center


Los Angeles Fire Department



Where is the nearest hospital?

The nearest hospitals are located in the table below. Please note that Cal State LA is not affiliated with either hospital.

Hospital Name Address Phone Number

LA County USC Medical Center

2051 Marengo St, Los Angeles, CA, 90033


Alhambra Hospital Medical Center

100 S Raymond Ave, Alhambra, CA, 91801



Where can I find more information about safety in the housing community?

For more information about personal safety, see Safety & Security.

Is there an Overnight Guest Policy?

Overnight guests are permitted to stay up to three nights consecutively and no more than nine nights total per semester, with the permission of all housemates. Guests must be registered through the Housing Portal. Failure by a Licensee to secure approval for overnight guests is grounds for disciplinary action, including being charged the daily rate for each day that a non-approved guest resides in the Licensee’s apartment. All overnight guests must comply with all housing regulations. Residents are responsible for the conduct of their guests and any damages caused by their actions.

Can I bring a pet?

No pets, other than fish, are allowed in rooms (including balconies) at any time, including those of guests or visitors. One 10-gallon fish tank is allowed per resident. Violators will be subject to disciplinary action and fines. If the owner of a pet cannot be determined, discipline and fines will be divided equally among all residents of the apartment and/or room.

What if I lose my keys/One Card?

If a resident in the apartments lose their keys, they must immediately report it to the Office of Housing and Residence Life to ensure the safety and security of the resident’s apartment. Lost keys may result in a charge of up to $88.

If you live in South Village and you lose your One Card, get a new ID from the One Card Office. Stop by the Housing Office in South Village if you experience problems with your ID.

What if I get locked out?

If you are locked out during normal business hours, contact the Office of Housing and Residence Life. If it is after 6 p.m. or on the weekends, call the RA on duty at the following numbers:

Resident Assistant on Duty for the Apartments


Resident Assistant on Duty for South Village, Tower 2


Resident Assistant on Duty for South Village, Tower 3


Are there disciplinary actions for getting locked out?

Yes. Forgetting your keys and getting locked out more than three times during the academic year may result in disciplinary action and charges. Fees per academic year are as follows:

Number of Lockouts


Up to three

No charge


$10 + Conduct Meeting





Each lockout thereafter costs an additional $10.

Where do I pick up mail and packages?

South Village: Stop by the South Village Housing Office with a picture ID and let us know you want to check mail and pick up packages.

Apartments: Stop by the Phase II Housing Office with a picture ID and let us know you want to check mail and pick up packages.

When can I pick up mail and packages?



Monday – Friday

9 a.m. – 6 p.m.


10 a.m. – 4 p.m.

Sundays Closed

How do I know if I have mail and packages?

  • Mail - Stop by the South Village or Phase II Mail Rooms and let us know you'd like to check to see if you have letter mail. Letter mail will be distributed at the main front desk counter.
  • Packages - When packages arrive, we will log each package and then send you an email to your Cal State LA email address, informing you that you have a package. Please do not stop by to pick up a package when you are notified by the delivery carrier that it has arrived. Our office will need time to process packages before they are ready to be distributed to you.
  • Packages will be distributed at the service counter to the right of the main office desk.
  • Large Packages that are unable to fit through the service counter may need to be distributed through the main office access door. A staff member will place your package outside of the access door. To follow physical distancing guidelines, please wait until the staff member has returned inside the office before retrieving your package.

What is my mailing address?

Phase I & II

Your first and last name (not a nickname or family member's name)
5300 Paseo Rancho Castilla
Apartment #_______
Los Angeles, CA 90032

South Village

Your first and last name (not a nickname or family member's name)
5500 Paseo Rancho Castilla
SV Room #_______
Los Angeles, CA 90032

Can someone else pick up my package for me?

No. You must be present to pick up your own package with a picture ID.

How can I get something fixed in my room/apartment?

If your room or apartment is in need of repair, please submit a Work Order by logging on to the Housing Portal using your CSU Identity and password. An individual Work Order should be filled out for each type of request. (We don’t mind receiving more than one Work Order per room|apartment.) We appreciate your assistance in maintaining the condition of our units and community.

Who's responsible for cleaning my room/apartment?

You are responsible for cleaning your room and your apartment. Maintaining common areas is the shared responsibility of all tenants.

Who's responsible for damages in my room/apartment?

When you move into your room or apartment, you and your roommates are responsible for inspecting the unit and completing an Apartment Condition Report (ACR) or Room Condition Report (RCR). Damages at check-in should be noted. If your apartment or bedroom space requires repair, you should submit a Work Order through the Housing Portal. As a resident, you have an important role in maintaining the condition of our community. It is also part of your License Agreement to maintain your unit. You are responsible for any damages that you or a guest have caused. Any damages caused by you or your roommates, even if unintentional or resulting from not filing a Work Order, will be investigated and appropriate charges may be assessed.

Throughout the year, the Housing and Residence Life Office staff will conduct inspections to assist in the assessment of potential damages.

When you check out, your original ACR/RCR will be used to review the current condition of your unit. If there are any damages, including missing furniture or lack of cleanliness, a charge will be assessed. We will bill the responsible party. In the event that we cannot determine who is responsible, we will bill all residents of the unit equally.

Can I move in early?

Residents are not permitted to move in early unless there is an extenuating circumstance; approval is needed from the Housing Office.  Additional fees may be applied.

Once I move in, will I need to move again?

The Office of Housing and Residence Life reserves the right to relocate individuals as needed. Although rare, relocation may take place due to administrative, emergency, or disciplinary reasons.

How do I move out?

As the end of the spring semester approaches, you will be notified via the weekly email sent to your Cal State LA email address about the move-out process.

What do I do if I need to move out early?

You may move out early, however, residents must be approved to cancel the License Agreement. You may find the Cancellation form in the Housing Portal

The Housing and Residence Life Main Office is located in South Village, Tower 2.

Meet the team.

How many people in South Village and the apartment?

  • South Village
    Most of the bedrooms are for two residents but we also offer limited rooms for three residents. 
  • Apartments (Phase I and II)
    In two-bedroom apartments, two or three students share a bedroom, with no more than five people in an apartment. Four-bedroom apartments have no more than eight residents in total.
  • Golden Eagles Apartments (GEA)
    In the Golden Eagles Apartments, two or three people live in each unit: most have one person per bedroom, but a couple of one-bedroom units have two people per bedroom.

Can I request who I want to live with?

Yes. For students who apply on time, you can request roommates using the Roommate Wizard as part of the Housing Application through the Housing Portal.

How do I request my own room?

South Village, Phase I and II Apartments

During the fall semester, when the demand for housing is at its highest, requests for single-occupancy rooms are limited to graduate students. 

Golden Eagle Apartments (GEA)

Single occupancy is available in two- or three-bedroom apartments at GEA. Priority is given to graduate students.

Students with Disabilities

During fall semester, when the demand for housing is at its highest, requests for single-occupancy rooms are limited to graduate students and students with disabilities. As spaces become available throughout the academic year, we may accept additional requests. Submit a Single Occupancy Request Form to the Office of Housing and Residence Life. You must also register with the Office for Students with Disabilities (OSD).

Unless you are paying for a single, no, you may only use your assigned space. 

If you have not paid for a single, you must keep half of your room clean and ready for a person to move in at any time. If your belongings are found to be on both sides of the room, you may face additional charges and disciplinary action.

If you're having a roommate conflict, please reach out to your Resident Assistant (RA) and they will guide you on the next steps. 

During fall and spring semesters, you may request to swap or change rooms during the third week of classes by completing a Room Change Request Form. All room changes must be approved in advance and must be completed within the time frame given. Room changes that take place without approval may result in charges and having to move back to your original space. While we try to accommodate requests, room change approval is subject to space availability. 

You are responsible for keeping your apartment and bedroom clean.

What about parking?

  • Students living on-campus who wish to bring a vehicle must purchase a Resident Parking Permit.
  • Housing Resident Parking Permits are only valid for parking in Lot 5 and along the marked spaces on Paseo Rancho Castilla. Residential Permits are not valid in student lots.
  • Housing residency must be confirmed by Housing and Residence Life prior to purchasing a Residential Permit online at
  • Overnight parking for resident guests is allowed in Lot 5 with a valid parking permit obtained from the parking pay stations in that lot.

For more information visit the Housing Resident Parking Information Page.

Is smoking allowed in my room/apartment or balcony?

No. Smoking is not permitted on campus. All CSU campuses are non-smoking. This includes all buildings on campus, including open balconies, foyers, stairway landings, rooftops, and pedestrian bridges between buildings. Hookahs are prohibited in the housing complex.

What is the alcohol policy?

Alcohol may not be possessed, stored, or consumed by any person under the age of 21. Consuming alcoholic beverages at Cal State LA Housing is prohibited unless a person is 21 years or older and a resident of that apartment or room, which must be a designated 21-or-over apartment. Guests, regardless of their age, may not consume alcohol inside residents’ apartments, or room, or the surrounding areas. Providing alcohol to anyone under 21 is prohibited. Under no circumstances are alcoholic beverages to be consumed in public areas, Cal State LA apartments, or South Village that have been designated as under-21 spaces. This includes balconies, landings, the Community Center, recreation areas, sidewalks, etc. See the Student Guide for more information.

Quiet Hours

Quiet hours are Sun-Thurs 10 p.m.-6 a.m., Fri-Sat midnight to 6 a.m. During finals week, quiet hours are 24 hours a day.

What kind of social opportunities are there?

Programming is our top priority. Resident Assistants and the Residence Hall Association provide educational, cultural and social programs to create a well-rounded experience for students living on campus. To learn more, visit Get Involved.

What is the Residence Hall Association?

The Residence Hall Association is an organization made up of dedicated residents who actively voice the concerns within the community. They meet every Wednesday at 8 p.m. in the Phase II Conference Room and invite you to join them!

The Office of Housing and Residence Life strives to take an educational approach to student discipline. For detailed information, please visit Student Conduct Process.

Housing Data Pursuant to California Education Code 66014.6

Number of enrolled Students

Existing campus inventory, including, but not limited to number of available beds on campus

Number of students on campus housing waiting list

Number of students who request campus-owned, campus-operated, or campus-affiliated student housing

Date of posting

24,673 2483 0 1766 10/05/2023