Cal State LA students smiling and laughing in front of the Housing office.


By choosing to live on campus, you have opened the door to numerous opportunities, which will serve you well in all facets of your life.

On this page, we provide essential information for you to learn about your Housing community and your responsibilities as a community member.

Amenities & Services

Housing residents playing volleyball and the amenities Housing provides.


Housing has many amenities to offer its residents. From Volleyball Courts to free tutoring, there is something for everyone. 

Cal State LA Academic Success. Free walk-in Tutoring.


Free walk-in tutoring is offered to all residents, courtesy of the Center for Academic Success

Peer tutoring takes place every Tuesday and Wednesday in the South Village Learning Center. 

Topics covered: 

  • Pre-calculus
  • Statistics
  • Writing

Each session is 30-minutes, but can be extended as needed and depending on demand. 

Walk-ins are welcome, but if you would like to make an appointment, please call the Center for Academic Success, hours and info below. 

Call to book an appointment, Center for Academic Success office hours:

Mon - Thurs: 9 a.m. - 6 p.m.

Fri: 9 a.m. - 5 p.m.

Phone: 323-343-5350

The volleyball court is located in Phase II, behind Building 5. Lights turn off at 10 p.m. To check out equipment or balls, visit the Community Center (CC).

The Community Center (CC), located in Phase I, is a resource office where you can find out what's going on in the community. You can also check out equipment to play ping-pong, board games, balls, foosball or pool equipment in the Game Room. Open Monday through Friday, are 12 noon to 10 p.m. and weekends from 1 to 10 p.m.

The Wellness Zone is available to all Cal State LA Housing residents and is located on the first floor of Tower 2. The Wellness Zone features a gym, a spin cycle/yoga room, and two meditation rooms.

Hours of Operation

Day Time

Monday – Friday

7 a.m. – 12 p.m. & 4:30 – 9:30 p.m.

Weekends Closed

The Game Room, located in the Community Center (CC), has a television and a number of board games as well as a pool and pingpong table. Open Monday through Friday, are 12 noon to 10 p.m. and weekends from 1 to 10 p.m.

Washing machines and driers are available throughout South Village, Phase I, II and at the Golden Eagle Apartments (GEA) for FREE. For the best results, we recommend high-efficiency detergents to go with the high-efficiency machines. You may check on the status of your laundry from your cellphone: Download the WASH-CONNECT App

The Computer Lab is located in the Phase I Community Center. It has 10 computer stations, which are equipped with USB ports, as well as a scanner and printer. Open Monday through Friday, are 12 noon to 10 p.m. and weekends from 1 to 10 p.m.

Wireless internet is available 24/7 in all of Housing and throughout campus at no extra cost. Log in to the CSULA-Secure network with your Cal State LA student information to access Wi-Fi. Personal routers interfere with the campus internet and are therefore prohibited.

Water, trash, electricity, and gas are included in your License Agreement.

Where do I pick up mail and packages?

Stop by the South Village and Phase II Housing Mail Rooms with a picture ID and let us know you want to check mail and pick up packages.

Day Time

Monday – Friday

9 a.m. – 6 p.m.


10 a.m. – 4 p.m.



How do I know if I have mail and packages?

  • Mail - Stop by the main office desk and let us know you'd like to check to see if you have letter mail. Letter mail will be distributed at the main front desk counter.
  • Packages - When packages arrive, we will log each package and then send you an email to your Cal State LA email address, informing you that you have a package. Please do not stop by to pick up a package when you are notified by the delivery carrier that it has arrived. Our office will need time to process packages before they are ready to be distributed to you.
    • Packages will be distributed at the service counter to the right of the main office desk.
    • Large Packages that are unable to fit through the service counter may need to be distributed through the main office access door. A staff member will place your package outside of the access door. To follow physical distancing guidelines, please wait until the staff member has returned inside the office before retrieving your package.
What is my mailing address?

South Village

Your first and last name (not a nickname or family member's name)
5500 Paseo Rancho Castilla
Room #________
Los Angeles, CA, 90032

Phase I, II and GEA

Your first and last name (not a nickname or family member's name)
5300 Paseo Rancho Castilla
Apartment #_______
Los Angeles, CA 90032

Can someone else pick up my package for me?
No. You must be present to pick up your own package with a picture ID.

  • Students living on-campus who wish to bring a vehicle must purchase a Resident Parking Permit.
  • Housing Resident Parking Permits are only valid in Lot 5 and Paseo Rancho Castilla East of Mariondale Ave. to Hellman Bridge only. Residential Permits are not valid in student lots.
  • Housing residency must be confirmed by Housing and Residence Life prior to purchasing a Residential Permit online at
  • Overnight parking for resident guests is allowed in Lot 5 with a valid parking permit obtained from the parking pay stations in that lot.
  • For complete parking regulations and parking lot information visit our Parking Regulations Page.
Resident Parking Rates
Term Rates
Summer 2023 $165.00
Fall 2023 $264.00
Spring 2024 $264.00


30-Day permits are available for $66.00 per 30-day period.

Day or overnight passes may be purchased for $8 a day with debit/credit card using the online parking phone app in Lot 5.

Visit to see the hundreds of movies and TV shows that you can stream for free while on campus. We recommend using Google Chrome. For mobile devices, download the free Swank app. If you have a film you'd like us to feature, send us an email at [email protected] and we will see if it's available at that time.

Beverage and snack machines can be found in the Phase II hallway and in South Village, tower 2 (by the mail room), accessible 24/7. A water machine is located by the Phase I Laundry Room. We are not responsible for money lost to the vending machines. If you lose money from the snack machine, please call the number on the vending machine. If you lose money from the soda machine, please report it to the Housing Office in South Village, attention Jessica Luong. Please provide your name, phone number, product, and amount of money lost.

Important Info for Residents

Recommended wall adhesives

Three recommended adhesives: 3M command large utility hooks, Scotch Indoor Double-Sided Mounting Squares, and Scotch Removable Wall Mounting Tabs. These adhesives are recommended for most wall accessories under 5 lbs. Some uses for these adhesives would be posters, whiteboards, corkboards, and framed art.

Command Strip and large utility hooks. 3M.

How to apply:

Large utility hooks can hold up to 5 Ibs.

1. Clean surface with rubbing alcohol.

2. Remove red liner from the tape. Apply the tape onto the hook.

3. Remove black liner. Attach hook to wall and press for 10 seconds.

4. To ensure adhesive hold, slide hook up and off.

5. Press base firmly for 30 seconds.

6. Slide hook back on. Wait 1 hour before use.

How to remove:

1. Slide hook up and off.

2. Gently hold the mounting base in place.

3. Never pull the strip towards you! Always pull straight down.

4. Stretch the strip slowly against the wall at least 15 inches to release.

Scotch Indoor Double-Sided Mounting Squares

How to apply:

For items that are 1 lb, use 3 squares. For items that are 5 lbs, use 15 squares.

1. Ensure surfaces are smooth, clean, and dry,

2. Apply tape to the object and press the liner for good adhesion.

3. Remove the liner and press the object firmly for 30 sec.

How to remove:

1. Gently remove the object from the tape.

2. Carefully peel the tape from the corner.

Scotch Removable Wall Mounting Tabs

How to apply:

6 tabs hold up to ¼ lb.

1. Apply tapes to the item you are mounting and remove the liner. Recommended use of two tabs per 81/2 x 11. Heavier items require more tabs.


How to remove:

1. Gently peel back the corner of the object at a sharp angle.

Alteration to Premises/Property Damage

These items are all known to cause damage to the paint and walls. Understand that even if residents are using the recommended materials to avoid damage to their rooms, there are still ways in which the improper use of such items can cause damage. Using recommended materials does not by default absolve any resident from potential charges. Charges will be assessed for damages resulting from improper attachment upon move-out.

  • Exterior doors may not be covered more than 5% due to fire code regulations.
    • Affixing whiteboards/corkboards to the exterior of the door will result in damages to the door and thus are not approved for use.

  • Housing and Residence Life discourages the use of Gel Window Clings on painted surfaces as these leave residue/oil stains behind and will result in repainting costs.

  • Decorations, signage, flags, sticky notes, etc., may not be posted in windows. Items seen from windows will result in a follow-up from Housing and Residence Life with requests for immediate removal. Failure to adhere to this policy may result in participation in the student conduct process.

  • Items may not be hung from the ceiling due to fire safety concerns and regulations. At no point may items:

    • Cover sprinkler heads and/or smoke detectors.

      • Hang items from sprinkler heads and/or smoke detectors or otherwise inhibit the function of these items

Direct Deposit

We encourage you to sign up for Direct Deposit to get your financial aid disbursement faster. It can be electronically deposited into a valid US checking or savings account. Visit Eagle Express Direct Deposit for more information.

Financial Aid

One method of paying for your housing fees is with financial aid. The amount financial aid will cover depends on how much you have been awarded and how much is left after your tuition and University fees are paid. Any remaining housing fees that remain after your financial aid has been applied, must be paid for by you.

To contact the Financial Aid Office, visit the Financial Aid Office website.


See Housing Payments.


Renter's Insurance

Protect your belongings with renter's insurance from GradGuard.

License Agreement

The License Agreement is the contract between a resident and Cal State LA that lasts for the duration of the resident's stay (a semester, academic year or summer).

Cancellation Requests

If you want to cancel your License Agreement or Meal Plan, you must submit a Petition to Cancel Form with supporting documentation. Log into the Housing Portal, go to the Housing Forms tab and complete the Petition to Cancel DocuSign form.

Roommate Conflicts

Living with people can be fun and challenging. We expect that roommates will share responsibilities and make compromises. If you experience challenges with a roommate, we recommend talking with them about it first. If the situation doesn’t improve, speak with your Resident Assistant. In some cases, situations will be escalated to the Residence Life Coordinator for help.

Student Conduct Process

Housing and Residence Life strives to take an educational approach to student discipline. This includes providing information that residents need in order to function effectively as responsible members of the community. In the event that a resident chooses to violate housing policies, the Housing Services Staff will take quick action to hold them accountable for their behavior. This is done both to assist the student in their personal development and to maintain the integrity of community living. The following information describes the rights, responsibilities and procedures of the resident and the Housing Services Staff in addressing inappropriate behavior and violations of housing policies.

To learn more about the Student Conduct Process, visit our Student Guide.

Work Orders

If something in your apartment needs repair, please fill out a Work Order. Create a separate Work Order for each issue in your apartment.

Emergency Phones

Emergency Phones are yellow posts with a blue light and are located throughout the housing complex. These non-dial phones are directly linked to the University Police and may be used in the event of an emergency.

Lost Keys & Lockouts

If a resident has lost their keys, they must immediately report it to the Office of Housing and Residence Life to ensure the safety and security of the resident’s apartment. Lost keys may result in a charge of up to $100.

If you are locked out during normal business hours, contact the Housing and Residence Life Office. If it is after 5 p.m. or on the weekends, call the Resident Assistant on duty in your area.

Resident Assistant on Duty for the Apartments


Resident Assistant on Duty for South Village, Tower 1


Resident Assistant on Duty for South Village, Tower 2


Resident Assistant on Duty for South Village, Tower 3


Forgetting your keys and getting locked out more than three times during the academic year may result in disciplinary action and charges. Fees per academic year are as follows:

Number of Times Locked Out Cost
Up to three No charge
Four $10
Five $20
Six $30

A resident’s seventh lockout will result in a conduct meeting and could result in a restitution sanction. More than 7 lockouts will result in another conduct meeting that could result in more sanctions that could include License Agreement Termination and removal from Housing until the end of the academic year.

Police Station

The Public Safety Police Station is located on the south end of campus (north end of lot 1).

If you would like to contact the Police Station or Public Safety, call 323-343-3700.

Public Safety Escort Service

Our University Police's Public Safety Escort Service provides a personal student escort service for students, faculty, staff and visitors, 24/7. This free service is available to you at night and when walking to parking lots or to the housing complex. Making use of this service can greatly improve your personal safety.

Please call 323-343-3700 for more information.

Resident Assistant on Duty

If you are experiencing an emergency or are locked out of your apartment after 5 p.m., you can reach the Resident Assistant on Duty in your area.

Resident Assistant on Duty for the Apartments


Resident Assistant on Duty for South Village, Tower 1


Resident Assistant on Duty for South Village, Tower 2


Resident Assistant on Duty for South Village, Tower 3


Safety Precautions

Please take these precautions to keep our community secure:

  • If you have a door or window that doesn’t lock, please let us know immediately and complete a Work Order.
  • Please make sure that all doors and windows are closed and locked. Always check before you leave for the day and go to sleep at night.
  • Secure your personal items in your bedroom and lock the door when you leave. Remember that your roommates may or may not be responsible in securing the apartment before they leave.
  • Never loan your personal apartment key to anyone (including your roommates): it is a policy violation to do so.
  • Be aware of your surroundings, particularly at night, in and around campus. You may call the Eagle Patrol to escort you to and from classes or your vehicle.
  • If you have concerns, contact your Resident Assistant. Report all suspicious activity to the Campus Police at 323-343-3700.

South Village

How to use the thermostat

As part of sustainability and energy efficiency, all air conditioning systems in the housing are controlled by a computer-controlled system. The following provides basic instructions that are important to know.