Intimacy/Charged Content Notices for Casting Stupid Fucking Bird
Please read the following so that you can make informed consent if you are offered a role in this production. We will be working with an intimacy director on staging these moments in rehearsal.
There will be NO kissing, undressing or staged intimacy at auditions/callback.
There will not be any full nudity in the actual production, but there will be undressing and possibly partial nudity.
CON - shares a stage kiss with Nina (p.14); talks about and attempts suicide with gun - the attempt is offstage, we see before and after and he speaks about it (p.41)
NINA - shares a stage kiss with Con (p.14); changes clothes onstage (down to underwear or slip between outfits); talks about her “perfect breasts” with Trigorin, she offers them to him, he possibly touches them through her clothes (p.39-40); is “scantily clad” onstage in some kind of sleep wear (p.51-53), partially undresses for Trigorin (possibly takes off her top to reveal beautiful lingerie) (p.53); offers herself to Trigorin, and shares some kind of physical intimacy or kiss with him (p.53)
TRIGORIN - talks about Nina’s “perfect breasts”, she offers them to him, he possibly touches them through her clothes (p.39-40); Nina partially undresses in front of him, offers herself to him, and they share some kind of physical intimacy or kiss (p.53); Emma undoes his robe leaving him standing in his underwear (p.55); Emma drops her own robe in front of him revealing herself in a slip or undergarments (p.55); shares a passionate kiss with Emma (p.56); staged simulated sex with Emma, passionate but not graphic or hyper-naturalistic, theatrical build, in underwear not nude (p.56-58)
EMMA - undoes Trigorin’s robe revealing him in his underwear (p.55); drops her own robe revealing herself in a slip or undergarments (p.55); shares a passionate kiss with Trigorin (p.56); staged simulated sex with Trigorin, passionate but not graphic or hyper-naturalistic, theatrical build, in underwear not nude (p.56-58)
MASH - shares a stage kiss with Dev (p.60)
DEV - shares a stage kiss with Mash (p.60)
* Feel free to ask any questions about the intimacy in this show if you need more information in order to consent to a role. Anything that says “possibly” means it’s not required but something that we might want room to explore that option.
Content Notice for Stupid Fucking Bird
This show includes dialogue about, staging of and/or narratives connected to the following:
- mental illness
- suicidality (attempted suicide by gun, not shown on stage)
- shooting an animal (not shown on stage)
- sexual harassment
- sexual and romantic coercion
- family trauma
* Feel free to ask any questions about the charged content in this show if you need more information in order to consent to a role/being a part of this production.
Practicing Consent at Auditions/Callbacks
If you’re reading a side with another actor, please check in about boundaries beforehand!
If you are not sure where to start, you can ask something like…
“The places off limits for touch for me in this scene are ____ . Other boundaries you should know are _____. How about you?”
"Do you have any places where touch is off limits for this scene? Any other boundaries? Here are mine: _______"
Practice using de-sexualized de-gendered language like:- instead of “crotch” or “genitals” try “front of pelvis”
- instead of “butt” try “back of pelvis” or “glutes”
- instead of “breasts” try ”lower front of chest” or “widest part of chest”
There will be NO kissing, staged intimacy or undressing at auditions/callbacks. Even if it is within your personal boundaries to perform at auditions, this is a boundary we are asking everyone to adhere to. Thank you for respecting this established general boundary for auditions/callbacks
* Feel free to ask any questions about this practice or ask for support from folks running the auditions or peers who are experienced with boundary check ins.