The Bachelor of Music in Music Education (pre-credential) prepares students for careers in Vocal/Choral and Instrumental teaching. Students receive rigorous training in pedagogy and musicianship through coursework, studio lessons, and ensemble participation. The degree culminates in a 50-minute Senior Recital.
In order to receive the California State Single Subject Credential in Music, graduates of the BM in Music Education (pre-credential) option must continue on in a post-baccalaureate credential program, studying professional education courses through the Charter College of Education at Cal State LA or another institution.
Alumni of the BM in Music Education at Cal State LA teach music in school programs throughout the Los Angeles area.
An audition is required for admission into the BM in Music Education. Click below for more information, and please contact the area coordinator for your instrument if you have any additional questions.
- Dr. Patti Kilroy (Instrumental)
- Dr. Christopher Gravis (Vocalists)
- A list of applied lesson faculy can be found here
All matriculated students in any of our degree programs register for a major performance ensemble as advised by their area coordinators:
- Bowed Strings (violin, viola, cello, double bass): Orchestra
- Woodwinds, Brass, Percussion: Wind Ensemble or Symphonic Band
- Vocalists: Chamber Singers or Concert Choir
- Keyboard, Classical Guitar: Chamber Singers or Concert Choir, then Chamber Music or Guitar Ensemble after the first two years.
Students are encouraged to audition for additional ensembles as electives based on their interests, including:
- The above major performance ensembles
- Commercial Music Ensemble
- Jazz Big Band or Combos
- Afro-Latin Ensemble
- Mariachi Ensemble
- New Music Ensemble
- Exploration Ensemble