Mission, Vision, Values
The Cal State LA College of Arts & Letters transforms lives and sustains thriving communities and cultures. We develop and amplify our students’ unique talents, diverse life experiences, and intellects through the study and practice of the Arts and Humanities so that they can tell meaningful stories, forge their professional pathways, and inspire their communities.
Through the work of our students and faculty, we will be – and be seen as – the creative, intellectual, and cultural heart of Cal State LA and the Los Angeles region. We will build bridges both locally and globally between university and community, students and careers, learning and action.
- Academic Excellence – Maintaining currency in our disciplines, holding students and faculty to high standards of academic rigor
- Community – Building a sense of community and collaboration within the College, across the university, and within our surrounding LA community
- Creativity – Supporting the generation of new ideas, knowledges, and modes of expression
- Diversity – Understanding and appreciating the value of different cultural backgrounds, ethnicities, genders, sexualities, classes, experiences, perspectives, and abilities
- Generosity – Paying forward what we have learned and achieved by supporting others to do the same
- Inclusiveness – Welcoming each person’s unique identity, human experience, individual voice, and creative expression
- Interdisciplinarity – Encouraging collaboration and linkages across disciplines in scholarship and teaching; helping students explore different paths and possibilities
- Passion and commitment – Dedication; going all-in to help students succeed
- Public Engagement – Recognizing that arts and humanities have a place in the public sphere, especially in engaging with and building communities
- Social Justice – Giving students the creative, critical, and analytical tools to be civic thinkers and enact social change
Last Update: February 21, 2019