WellBeingU is a nationally recognized model for improving the inner and physical well-being of students by providing vital behavioral health services, resources, and basic needs.
COVID-19 Mental Health Resources
During these uncertain times, it is normal to experience stress and a fear of the unknown. Learn about resources that can help provide financial support, emergency housing, mental health services, and more as you continue to progress toward your degree.
Cal State LA is committed to providing assistance to students to help with remote learning, emergency housing, financial support, mental health services, and more. Our goal is for you to receive the services you need to continue to progress toward your degree.
- Emergency Housing Support
- Emergency Financial Resources
- Cal State LA Food Pantry
- Food Security Support
- CalFresh Outreach Center
- Child Care Services
- Wi-Fi Hotspots and Laptop Loans: A limited number of Wi-Fi hotspots and laptops are available for students. Please contact the Dean of Students to make an appointment if you need assistance.
Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS)
- Find information about CAPS counseling, support groups, and referral services during physical distancing.
- Let's Talk is a drop-in service where currently enrolled students can have a brief informal consultation with a counselor once or twice per term. Let’s Talk is for consultation about a specific problem. Whether it’s anxiety, sadness, or relationship problems, sharing your concerns can be helpful. A counselor will listen and provide support, perspective, and suggestions for resources.
Mental Health Emergencies and After-Hours Crises
- Emergencies: Call 911 for life-threatening emergencies. For non-life-threatening crises during or after office hours, please call CAPS at (323) 343-3300.
- After-Hours Crisis Hotline: Please call (323) 343-3300 to access after-hours phone support.
- Additional Resources
- 24-hour National Suicide Prevention Helpline at (800) 273-8255.
- Los Angeles County Department of Mental Health Access Center 24/7 Helpline at (800) 854-7771.
- Crisis Text Line: Text HOME to 741741.
- SAMHSA Behavioral Health Treatment Services Locator: A local mental health provider locator.
Managing Stress During COVID-19
- COVID-19: Coping with Stress – Los Angeles County
- COVID-19 Mental Health Resource Hub – PsychHub
- Mental Health and Coping During COVID-19 – CDC
- Mental Health and COVID-19 – Mental Health America
- COVID-19 Resource and Information Guide – National Alliance on Mental Illness
- Coping with COVID-19-related stress as a student – American Psychological Association
- Mental Health Amid the COVID-19 Pandemic – Active Minds
Student Health Tips
Students share information about how to help slow the spread of COVID-19.
The new Well-Being Classrooms in Salazar Hall offer space for classes to meet that integrates well-being into the learning environment. The rooms feature a living moss wall, comfortable seating, specialized lighting and air systems, and ample natural light.
Providing Basic Needs
Our food distribution events have provided groceries and meals to thousands of families in our communities that have been impacted by the COVID-19 economic crisis.
Mental Health First Aid
More than 700 faculty, staff and students have been certified in Mental Health First Aid, learning skills necessary to identify and assist those in need of mental health resources.
Laptop and Hotspot Loans
Cal State LA has purchased thousands of laptops and Wi-Fi hotspots to help students with their classwork during the pandemic. The loans are being distributed during safe drive-thru events.