Dr. Carrie Hastings
Watch our WellBeingU Speaker Series event from April 25, 2023, with Dr. Carrie Hastings, mental health clinician for the Los Angeles Rams. She explored her work with Rams football players, the field of sports psychology, and ways to optimize mental health and emotional well-being—whether you’re an athlete or not. She was joined virtually by Rams wide receiver Lance McCutcheon.
Dr. Daphne Miller
How do our minds and bodies communicate with nature? How can we strengthen these connections to protect our health and the health of our land? Watch our WellBeingU Speaker Series event, "Our Garden, Ourselves," with Dr. Daphne Miller, family physician, author, and clinical professor, who explored these ideas at a celebration of our new Janice Cordova Garden of Well-Being on April 27, 2022.
Dr. Eva Selhub
Dr. Eva Selhub explores how we can activate our natural ability to thrive by reducing stress and optimizing our resilience.
Dr. Erica Holmes
Dr. Erica Holmes discusses the impact of trauma and toxic stress caused by the pandemic and how people can experience subsequent growth and recovery. Find resources from the webinar presentation below.
- The 5-Minute Gratitude Journal: Give Thanks, Practice Positivity, Find Joy by Sophia Godkin
- Mindfulness: An Eight-Week Plan for Finding Peace in a Frantic World by Mark Williams and Danny Penman
- The Posttraumatic Growth Workbook: Coming Through Trauma Wiser, Stronger, and More Resilient by Richard G. Tedeschi and Bret A. Moore
- Everyday Gratitude: Inspiration for Living Life as a Gift
- Support Group Central: Curates support groups from other organizations, such as the National Alliance on Mental Illness (NAMI) and re:MIND. You can search for groups by topic. Most groups are free or have a small suggested donation, and you can sign up for email alerts about future meetings by topic, too.
- Grief Anonymous: Grief Anonymous is a grief support organization dedicated to assisting those grieving the loss of a loved one.
- Southern California Counseling Center: SCCC believes that mental health care is a right, not a privilege. Anyone who needs counseling should have it. SCCC provides affordable, sliding-scale counseling to people in need for as long as they need care.
Movies to Elicit Tears
- Life as a House (2001)
- Beaches (1988)
- Lion (2016)
- The Boy in the Striped Pajamas (2008)
- Stepmom (1998)
Dr. Portia Jackson Preston
Rev. Gregory J. Boyle
Prajna Paramita Choudhury
Students, faculty and staff gain insights on compassion, inner well-being and time management from engaging speakers
REVEREND GREGORY J. BOYLE, S.J.
Author, Tattoos on the Heart
ROBERT V. LEVINE, Ph.D.
Professor of Psychology,
California State University, Fresno
L.A. Times Columnist; Author, The Soloist
VICE ADMIRAL VIVEK H. MURTHY, M.D., M.B.A.
U.S. Surgeon General
Author, Cracked, Not Broken: Surviving and Thriving After a Suicide Attempt