Summer Conferences FAQs

The Frequently Asked Questions below will help you enjoy your stay at Cal State LA. (For questions before arriving, visit the Summer Conferences main page.)

Do you have disability accommodations?

Yes. Please inform the Conference Coordinator of any special needs your group may have. We will work to ensure that all accessibility issues are addressed. Please allow us adequate time to make the proper arrangements.

Are the apartments air-conditioned?

Yes, all buildings in the housing complex have central air conditioning.

What amenities and furniture do the apartments have?

Each apartment has Wi-Fi and DirecTV (computers and televisions are not included). The living room has a couch, two chairs, a coffee table and an end table with a lamp. The kitchen has a refrigerator, stove and oven. The bedrooms have extra-large twin beds, dressers and desks.

What is included in a linen packet?

Arrangements for linen must be made prior to arrival. Linen packets include a pillow, a fitted and flat sheet, a blanket and a face and body towel. Toilet paper is provided to every conference group.

Is internet service available?

Wireless internet is available to guests at no extra charge for most carriers. Some limitations may occur with international service carriers. Guest accounts are available Monday-Friday from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. on the weekends from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Additional 24-hour Wi-Fi access can be purchased for $15 per account per week. We also have a computer lab with internet access near the Community Center in Phase I of the housing complex.

Does my apartment have a telephone?

No. The apartments do not include landline telephones. There are no payphones in the housing complex. There are, however, four payphones on campus at the following locations: King Hall Lobby, Library North Lobby, Administration Building Quad (to the right of Student Affairs 101) and the main walkway near the Administration Building. You can find emergency phones in various locations throughout the housing complex and on campus. Click on this map and check the "Emergency Phone" box at the top to see where they are located.

Where can I find an ATM?

On campus, outside of the Palmer Wing Library, there are ATMS for the following banks: Wells Fargo, Bank of America and Cal State LA Federal Union. Wells Fargo has an additional ATM located on the first floor of the University-Student Union.

What recreational facilities are available?

A sand volleyball court and a basketball court are located next to the Dining Commons. The Game Room has a pool table and pingpong table. You can check out volleyballs, basketballs and equipment to play pool and ping pong at the tables in the Game Room. They are checked out on a first come, first serve basis.

Do you have laundry rooms?

Yes. The laundry room in Phase I is located in the Community Center. Phase II laundry rooms are located in each building on the first floor. Washing machines cost $1.25 per load and dryers cost $1.00 per load. The machines only accept credit or debit cards. We recommend using high-efficiency detergents for the high-efficiency washers.

When do I check in and check out?

You should plan to check in and out at the specified time on your License Agreement.

When will I receive my keys?

You will be given your keys at check-in and must return them at checkout. If you don’t turn in your keys when you check out, we will deem them lost. You’ll be charged up $88 to replace lost keys, payable to Cal State LA Housing and Residence Life.

Can I check in early or late?

In some cases, arriving early or staying late is possible. Talk to the Conference Coordinator about your needs.

What is the cost per guest?

Rooms are double occupancy (two people per bedroom). Guests may request to stay by themselves (one person per bedroom), but will have to pay the single occupancy rate. The summer rates are as follows:

Room Type Summer 2020 Room Fees

Summer 2021 Room Fees

Single (in a 2 or 4 bedroom apt) $46.75 per person/per night


Double Occupancy (in a 2 or 4 bedroom apt)

$40 per person/night


Triple (in a 2 bedroom apt) $33.00 per person/per night


What dining options are available in the housing complex and on campus?

If your group is staying longer than eight nights, you can arrange for a Meal Plan from the Dining Commons to be part of your License Agreement. Ask our Conference Coordinator for information.

Vending machines selling beverages and snacks are located across from the Community Center.

For information about on-campus options, visit Food on Campus.

Can I buy meals on campus if my conference didn’t purchase a Meal Plan through Conference Services?

Yes. Meals can be purchased at all campus eateries with cash or credit card.

Who do I call in the event of an emergency?

In the event of an on-campus emergency, call the Cal State LA Police at 323-343-3700 and for an off-campus emergency, dial 911. You may also find these additional emergency resources helpful.

Where is the nearest hospital?

The nearest hospitals are located in the table below. Please note that Cal State LA is not affiliated with either hospital.

Hospital Name


Phone Number

LA County USC Medical Center

2051 Marengo St,

Los Angeles, CA 90033


Alhambra Hospital Medical Center

100 S Raymond Ave, Alhambra, CA 91801


Emergencies Phone Numbers

Department Phone Number

Off-campus Emergency


On-campus Emergency & Cal State LA Campus Police


Conference Assistant on Duty 323-791-4056

Cal State LA Health Center


Los Angeles Fire Department


What do I do if I get locked out of my apartment?

If you get locked out of your apartment Monday through Friday between 9 a.m. and 5 p.m., come to the Office of Housing and Residence Life. Otherwise, call the Conference Assistant on Duty at 323-791-4056. You will need to show a picture ID.

Can I bring a guest?

Registered participants of a summer conference (including staff members and coordinators) are prohibited from having overnight guests. This includes, but is not limited to, spouses, children, partners or any other non-registered family member.

Guests may only visit between 9 a.m. and midnight. They must be registered and paid as part of the conference group. Guests are not allowed in apartments between midnight and 9 a.m. They must be accompanied by a registered participant of a summer conference at all times. Unescorted guests will be asked to leave the premises immediately. In the event that a guest does not comply with housing officials, University Police will be called for assistance. Guests must abide by all Housing and Residence Life and University policies. Conference participants are responsible for their guests’ behavior and for any damage caused by their guests. The issuance of housing keys to a non-registered guest for any reason is prohibited.

Can I bring a pet?

No. Pets are not permitted in the interest of safety and sanitation.

How do I get mail or packages delivered to me?

In order to receive mail or packages, your first and last name must match the name on your License Agreement and “Summer Conference” must be on top line of the envelope or package. Otherwise, mail and packages will be returned to sender. To receive mail or packages, use the following address:

Summer Conference

[Participant’s first and last name as written on the License Agreement]

5300 Paseo Rancho Castilla
Los Angeles, CA 90032

Mail and packages are delivered to the Mail Room in Phase I of the housing complex. If you receive mail or packages, a note will be placed on the door of your apartment. To retrieve them, please bring the note and a valid ID (driver’s license or passport) to the Front Desk or Mail Room Window.

What if my room needs maintenance?

If something in your apartment needs repair, please fill out a Work Order Request Form at the Housing and Residence Life Office during business hours. Please reserve after-hour calls for emergencies or urgent maintenance needs.

Is a cleaning service available?

No. Cleaning service is not available during your stay, and guests are responsible for keeping their apartment clean.

Are there meeting rooms within the housing complex?

There is a Lounge and Conference Room in the student housing complex that you may reserve.

Are additional facilities available on campus?

Cal State LA has a wide range of auditoriums and classrooms. If you’re interested in renting them, please let us know. In order to meet your needs, we’ll put you in touch with the department that will create a separate contract for renting space on campus (separate from the Conference Services License Agreement).

Where is Housing and Residence Life Office?

The Housing and Residence Life Office is located in Phase II of the housing complex. It’s open Monday through Friday 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.

How can I contact the summer conference services staff?

The staff is available to help you during the day from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. at the Housing and Residence Life Office or by phone at 323-343-4800. At night, a Summer Conference Assistant will be on duty for emergencies, lockouts or after hour check-ins. Call them at 323-791-4056.

Who is in charge of my conference stay?

You will have a Summer Conference Assistant assigned to your group who will personally oversee your event and manage any needs that arise. They will periodically check with your conference planner daily to ensure your event is running smoothly.

Where can I find different attractions, restaurants, banks, etc., in the area?

The Conference Services Guest Guide includes all of this information and much more. Guest guides are given to all conference guests during check in. If you would like one prior to your arrival, please let us know and we’ll email it to you.

Where can I purchase a parking permit and where do I park?

The University requires all vehicles to display a parking permit when parked on campus grounds. Parking regulations are enforced 24/7. Parking for conference guests is located in Lot 5. Guests must have a temporary parking permit displayed in their vehicle at all times. Daily parking permits may be purchased for $8 a day from the yellow machine in Lot 5. Conference guests staying at least eight nights may purchase a monthly parking pass for Lot 7A from Housing staff for $66.

Is public transportation available from the LAX airport to the University?

Yes. You can take the LAX FlyAway bus to Union Station and from there take the Metrolink train to Cal State LA. SuperShuttle provides transportation from LAX and Burbank airports directly to the University. (Please note that this information is provided solely as a courtesy and does not connote an endorsement of any kind by the University.)

Where can I access public transportation?

There are many public transportation options nearby. For example, the Metrolink San Bernardino line stops on the south side of campus and Alhambra Community Transit Buses circle the campus.

What are the quiet hours?

Designated quiet hours are in effect Sunday through Thursday 10 p.m. to 9 a.m., and Friday through Saturday midnight to 9 a.m. Please be courteous to others when they are sleeping, studying or requesting your cooperation for quiet. Please keep the noise to a minimum.

What are the regulations for conduct?

Conference participants must obey all rules, regulations, policies and prohibitions set forth in Title 5 of the California Code of regulations (insofar as they pertain to conduct, generally, or student housing) and regulations, polices and prohibitions that are stated in the License Agreement.

Can I hang signs in my room or in the housing complex?

All signs and use of tape must be approved prior to display on campus. Painter’s tape is the only authorized adhesive allowed on walls in campus facilities. Please work with your conference assistant for help.

Can I smoke in my apartment?

No. Smoking is not permitted in any building on campus, including open balconies, foyers, stairway landings, rooftops and pedestrian bridges between buildings. There are two designated smoking areas in the housing complex. One is located near the volleyball court in Phase II and the other is in the alcove adjacent to the access road by the stairs leading to Lot 5. Smoking and proper disposal of cigarette butts should occur in designated areas only. Hookahs are prohibited in the housing complex.

What is the alcohol policy?

Consuming alcoholic beverages in Cal State LA apartments is prohibited unless a person is 21 years or older and a resident of that apartment, which must be a designated 21-or-over apartment. Guests, regardless of their age, may not consume alcohol inside residents’ apartments or the surrounding areas. Alcohol may not be possessed, stored or consumed by any person under the age of 21. Providing alcohol to anyone under 21 is prohibited. Under no circumstances are alcoholic beverages to be consumed in public areas or Cal State LA apartments that have been designated as under-21 spaces. This includes balconies, landings, the Community Center, recreation areas, sidewalks, etc. See the Student Guide for more information.