The MSCS degree requires completion of 30-33 units as described in (I) through (II) below. No more than 6 units of acceptable post-baccalaureate course work completed prior to entrance into classified standing may be included in the master’s degree program.
(I) Breadth Requirement (9 units)
Select one course each from three of the following five areas of study.
- Algorithms: CS 5112 - Design and Analysis of Algorithms (3)
- Network Systems: CS 5780 - Advanced Information Security (3)
- Web Systems: CS 5220 - Advanced Topics in Web Programming (3)
- Advanced Programming: CS 5035 - Topics in Functional Programming (3)
- Software Engineering: CS 5337 - Advanced Software Engineering (3)
(II) Choose one of the following two options:
Option 1: Thesis/Project Option
With the approval of the CS advisor, choose 18 units of 4000/5000 level courses with a minimum of 9 units from 5000 level courses and select one of CS5990 (3 units) or CS5996 (3 units)
Option 2: Comprehensive Option
With the approval of the CS advisor, choose 24 units of 4000/5000 level courses with a minimum of 12 units from 5000 level courses and select CS5960.