Admission Information

Please read our "questions and answers" section below regarding International Student academic degree admission.

Please visit the Office of Admissions and Recruitment to review, complete and submit your application.

You will receive an email within 3-5 days about submitting the online application and confirming receipt of the application. This email will include your Cal State LA Campus Identification Number (CIN). Please refer to it when submitting documents to Cal State LA or contacting us with questions. Your CIN will help us to find your record. Shortly thereafter, you will receive a second email with an account password.

After receiving both emails, you should promptly set up a Cal State LA account through the MyCalStateLA portal. It is very important for you to set up the account so that you can view the status of your application and receive important email notifications.

Congratulations and welcome to California State University, Los Angeles. We look forward to you joining the Golden Eagle family.

First-time Freshmen, Transfer Students and Graduate Students:

Form I-20 and SEVIS Record-From Inside the U.S.
Once you are admitted to Cal State LA, you will receive an acceptance letter via email. You should then notify your current school's adviser to transfer your SEVIS record to Cal State LA and have the adviser complete the Cal State LA Transfer-In Form. Once your SEVIS record has been transferred, your I-20 will be available to pick up from Cal State LA in 7-10 business days. 
If you prefer that we hold your I-20 for a friend or family member to pick up, please complete the Release of Documents and Information Form. If you want the I-20 sent to you via mail and you reside outside of California, we suggest using a courier service. Please read the Methods of Mailing in the New Student I-20 Verification.
Form I-20 and SEVIS Record-From Outside the U.S.
Please take time to review the Pre-Arrival Handbook for important information on paying the SEVIS fee, applying for a visa stamp, and preparation tips for preparing to live in the United States.
If you prefer that we hold your I-20 for a friend or family member to pick up, please complete the Release of Documents and Information Form. If you want the I-20 sent to you via mail, we suggest using a courier service. Please read the Methods of Mailing in the New Student I-20 Verification.
Visa and Immigration Advisement
For more details on the visa and immigration requirements of being an international student, please review the Current Student portion on the International Office website. If you have questions, you may contact us at [email protected] or 323-343-3170.
  • Undergraduate students are required to attend a Cal State LA Golden Eagle Orientation held during the summer. Additional information about registration will be during the orientation.
  • Graduate student orientations are offered by the Office of Graduate Studies and individual academic departments.
  • All F-1 international students are required to go through the SEVIS Check-In process, as well as attend the Immigration Workshop.

1. How do I apply to be an international student at Cal State LA? 

Contact the International Office (323- 343-3170) or email [email protected] for admission criteria. The online application is available at Cal State Apply. Follow the posted deadlines to submit your application and supporting documents.

2. I have a question about transferring to Cal State LA. Whom can I contact? 

If your question is related to admission, such as admission criteria, deadlines, or document submission, please contact the Office of Admissions and Recruitment at (323-343-3901). If your question is related to immigration, such as the I-20 or travel during the transfer, you should call the International Office at 323-343-3170 or email [email protected].

3. What name should I enter for the University application? 

You should use the name that is printed on your passport. If no passport is available, use the name on your birth certificate. The name you enter on the University application will be the same name that is entered onto your I-20. It is important that your name be spelled correctly and listed in the correct order. Spacing and hyphens should be consistent. Please see the section for Information Integrity, above.

4. How do I apply for the Form I-20/DS-2019? 

You must apply to the University, be admitted as a student, show valid financial support and then the I-20 will be issued to you. If you are transferring from another U.S. institution, your current school must release your SEVIS record to Cal State LA prior to our issuing the I-20.

5. I have not taken the TOEFL yet. Can I still apply? 

Yes. You should submit the online application by the stated deadline. You can then submit other supporting documents, such as the TOEFL score, after the application deadline. You must submit all required documents by any final deadline indicated on the Office of Admissions and Recruitment website, or provided to you in correspondence from the Admissions and Recruitment Office.

6. When should I send in the supporting documents such as transcripts, TOEFL, financial support, etc.? 

The Admissions evaluators will only review a complete application package. So, if your application package is missing one or more documents, this will delay its processing. It is best to submit all required documents as soon as possible so that your application can be reviewed. Be sure to submit the required documents no later than the posted deadlines.

7. I am applying for a graduate program, what do I need to submit? 

As a graduate applicant, you must submit two applications to Cal State LA: the first is to the University, which is the University online application that every applicant must submit; and the second is to the department of your specific program/major. In order to receive official admission to Cal State LA, you must be admitted by the University and your major department.

8. I submitted my application on Cal State Apply. What do I do now? 

After submitting your online application, you will receive two emails: one, with your Campus Identification Number, and the other, with your Personal Identification Number. You may access your Cal State LA account with these two numbers and follow-up on the status of your application. The account will list any To-Do items and missing documents, with the deadlines to submit them. 

9. Can the University email or fax a copy of my I-20 to me? 

No. The Department of Homeland Security prohibits us from sending copies of the I-20 by such electronic means.

10. I have not heard from the Admissions Office regarding my application. Whom should I contact? 

You may look up your To-Do-List and the View-Application-Status by accessing your GET account, or email to [email protected], or call (323) 343-3901.

12. Is there housing on campus? Does it include a meal plan? 

Yes. Information on housing is available in our International Student Housing Section or by contacting Housing Services at 323-343-4800. In addition to kitchens in each campus apartment, there are several meal plan options to choose from. There is also food for purchase on campus.