Independent/Affiliated Programs

DACA Student Advisory

If you are a DACA student, Cal State LA strongly advises against studying abroad or leaving the United States, including visits to U.S. territories such as Puerto Rico. Regardless of whether or not you have been granted advanced parole, there is no guarantee that you will be allowed to re-enter the U.S. If you are currently abroad, you should seek legal counsel immediately and return to the U.S. as soon as possible. A list of non-profit organizations that provide free legal services to immigrants residing in California can be found here.

Affiliated Programs

  • Semester, academic year and summer programs
  • Study with U.S. and international students and earn transfer credit
  • Internship, work-abroad, and volunteer opportunities available

Cal State LA has signed affiliation agreements with the following program providers. This allows Cal State LA students to benefit from reduced program fees and program scholarships.

Application deadlines vary by country.  

For additional details, visit AIFS Study Abroad at

Independent Study Abroad Programs

If you have not found a CSU International Program, Cal State LA Exchange Program, or Affiliated Program that meets your needs, you still have the opportunity to study abroad through an Independent Study Abroad Program.

The International Programs Office can provide the following assistance to you:

  • Advising on how to select and apply for a non-Cal State LA program
  • Registration to maintain student status while abroad
  • Facilitation of transfer credit from an international host institution

To facilitate your participation in a non-Cal State LA program, please complete the following steps:

  • Click here to create a new user profile 
  • Login to complete an application to study abroad with an Independent Provider
  • Complete the Study Abroad Clearance and submit it to the International Programs Office.