On-Campus Housing (watch video)
The International Office has compiled helpful information and resources to help you find the most appropriate accommodations for your experience studying in Los Angeles.
How to Apply for On-Campus Housing
How to Apply for Off-Campus Housing
Campus Location: California State University, Los Angeles is located where the 710 and 10 Freeways intersect. http://www.calstatela.edu/misc/trans/index.htm
Transportation from the Airport: Taxis are expensive. Many people use “shared van ride” services such as the following instead:
Homestay Companies: provide living arrangements with an American family in the family’s home. Different options are available regarding meals and laundry access.
American Homestay Network: www.homestaynetwork.com
Homestay Services International: www.homestayservices.com
StudentLink International: www.istudentlink.com
Universal Student Housing: www.ushstudent.com
Apartment List www.apartmentlist.com/ca/los-angeles
Suggested Housing Areas: Areas to the north and east of campus are recommended. Here are some suggested cities: Alhambra, South Pasadena, Pasadena, San Gabriel, Temple City, Rosemead
Chapel Apartments: 336 N. Chapel Avenue, Alhambra, 626-570-4948
Larch Apartments: 1624 Larch Street, Alhambra, 626-576-7832
Marianne Apartments: 112 E. Alhambra Road, Alhambra, 626-300-8550
El Rancho Apartments: 1201 W. Mission Road, Alhambra, 626-308-3925
Huntington Oaks Apartments: 1620 W. Huntington Drive, Alhambra, 626-576-1906
Woodside Terrace Apartments: 400 N. Chapel Avenue, Alhambra, 626-284-7363
Shadow Terrace Apartments: 303 S. Almansor Street, Alhambra, 626-284-1834
Huntington Monterey Apartments: 626-573-9616
Second Street Apartments: 808 N. 2nd Street, Alhambra, 626-299-0906
Al Palms Manor: 110 N. Marengo Avenue, Alhambra, 626-289-4906
Jade Gardens Rental Office: 109 S. Almansor Street, Alhambra, 626-282-2007
Alcole Properties: 606 S. 6th Street, Alhambra, 626-308-1221
Potrero Partners: Serving the Alhambra Area, 626-569-1819
Zip (Postal) Code Map:
Renting an Apartment
1. The landlord will probably ask for a social security number when you apply. Please tell the landlord you are an international student at Cal State LA and, by law, cannot get a social security number. Ask if you can make special payment arrangements without a “Credit Check”.
2. Always get a written receipt for any and all deposits, rent payments, and any other payments you make to the landlord or management company.
3. Ask the landlord about the time period of the lease. Make sure the time period of the lease fits with your plans. If the lease goes beyond your planned stay in the USA, you will still have to pay the entire amount of the lease!
4. You will probably be asked to sign a rental contract – read it carefully and make sure you understand it BEFORE you sign. Get copies of all documents.
5. Most apartments do not have furniture. Some do not have refrigerators. Sometimes the landlord will provide a refrigerator for a small charge. Also, the landlord may have suggestions about renting furniture.
6. All apartments are required by law to have heat and hot water. If you need air conditioning (cool air), make sure you ask about that because it is not always in the apartment.
7. Utilities: Ask about the electricity, gas, and water. Usually, the tenant (you) pay for electricity and gas. The landlord usually pays for water. You will need to arrange for the electricity and gas to be in your name so that you can receive the bills. You may be required to pay a deposit to the utility company. Use these links:
a. For electricity outside LA city boundary: Southern California Edison: www.SCE.com
b. For electricity inside LA city boundary: LADWP: www.ladwp.com
c. For natural gas: Southern California Gas: www.socalgas.com
8. Television: Provided by cable TV companies for a monthly fee. Check with your landlord to see which companies service the area.
View additional housing information and resources.
How to Apply for Homestay (Host Family)
If you want to live with an area family (Host Family), you should try to live in the El Sereno neighborhood of Los Angeles or in the nearby cities of Alhambra, South Pasadena, Pasadena, San Gabriel, Arcadia, or Monterey Park – these are nice cities and fairly close to campus. They also have a lot of buses for you to ride to school. There are several options available:
American Homestay Network:
Contact Ms. Victoria Nettles by email at [email protected] or by telephone at +1 888 268 1903. Alternatively, you can go to the website at www.homestaynetwork.com, read the website about their innovative programs, and follow the instructions to apply on line.
Homestay Services International:
Contact Mr. Jae Hopkins, Director by email at [email protected], by telephone at +1 619 461 4764, or by fax at +1 619 670 3397. Alternatively, you can go to the website at www.homestayservices.com, read the website and follow the instructions to download the application or apply online.
Contact StudentLink by email at [email protected] or go to their website at www.istudentlink.com/CSULA.html and follow the instructions to apply online. When you fill in the application, be sure to choose “Cal State LA” for “College You'll Attend.”
Universal Student Housing (USH):
For Universal Student Housing, you can find out about prices at www.ushstudent.com/homestay-csu-la-american-culture-language, and you can apply online by clicking “Apply” at the top of their home page at www.ushstudent.com. Be sure to choose “Homestay”, and when you fill in the application, be sure to choose “California State University, Los Angeles” under “School.” If you have difficulties with the form, you send an inquiry to [email protected].
Transportation from the Los Angeles International Airport (LAX) cannot be arranged by the International Office, but can often be arranged through one of the Homestay providers listed above if you will be living with a Host Family. Otherwise, we suggest you contact the following sources for airport transportation: for taxis, search www.layellowcab.com or www.unitedtaxi.com for shuttles, see www.supershuttle.com or www.primetimeshuttle.com