Welcome to M.A. Degree in Special Education (Mild/Moderate Disabilities)
The Masters in Special Education with an Option in Mild/Moderate Disabilities is a 30 unit program that offers in-depth study of issues related to students with learning disability, intellectual disability, and emotional disturbance. Many of the courses are offered in tandem with the mild-moderate credential so that students may efficiently pursue the M.A. and the credential at the same time. It is also offered independently of the credential.
As graduates of Masters in Special Education with an Option in Mild/Moderate disabilities one may find work as:
- Special education teachers at the K-12 level
- Inclusion support specialists in public and private schools
- Behavior support specialists in public and private schools
- Developers of special education curriculum
- Lead teachers in special education
- Providers of professional development and in-service workshops in response-to-intervention, behavior support, curriculum differentiation
- Authors of textbook
- Consultants for publishing companies
- Develop an understanding of current issues and practices in curriculum and behavior support for individuals with learning disabilities, intellectual disability, and emotional disturbance, and the ability to inquire into these topics.
- Develop knowledge and skills in educational research; develop analysis and reflection skills and written and oral communication.
- Identify and analyze topics of importance in current educational conversations and debates for critical issues related to special education.
- Deepen their commitment to their students and their students’ learning of academic and functional curricula.
- Increase their confidence to utilize a variety of teaching methodologies.
- Improve their ability to manage and assess their students’ progress in the curriculum.
- Augment their capacity to think reflectively about their teaching practices.
- Increase their capacity to become an agent of change in the field of special education.
Masters of Arts Degree in Special Education Option in Mild/Moderate Disabilities