Welcome to M.A. Degree in Educational Foundations
Spring 2022 deadline for application is October 1, 2021.
Only a Cal State Apply application is needed for this program.
Cal State Apply link - www2.calstate.edu/apply
The Master of Arts Degree Program in Educational Foundations envisions improving the educational experience and equality of opportunity afforded to students in the culturally, linguistically, and socio-economically diverse contexts of urban schooling by contributing to the intellectual formation, critical understanding, and informed practice of the educators and educational professionals who serve those students. It offers an interdisciplinary academic program that draws on conceptual and methodological frameworks from the humanities, the social sciences, and the behavior sciences to prepare educators and educational professionals to critically examine, better understand, and more effectively respond to issues of educational equity and opportunity for students in the diverse contexts of urban schooling. The 33 unit program is unique in that it allows students to complete as many as 12 units of elective coursework, enabling students to combine their M.A. program with credential and certificate programs in the Charter College of Education and other M.A. programs at Cal State LA.
Graduates of the M.A. in Educational Foundations enhance their opportunities for a career in the following areas:
- K-12 teaching in public and private schools.
- Community College Instruction
- Curriculum development
- Non –profit organizations with educational components
- Publicly and privately funded Alternative Education programs
The following are the expected Learning Outcomes for students completing the M.A. in Educational Foundations:
- Educational Foundations students develop an understanding of the social foundations of American education in order to develop interpretive, normative, and critical perspectives on schooling in American society and issues of educational equity and opportunity for urban students.
- Educational Foundations students develop an understanding of the psychological foundations of American education in order to develop interpretive, normative, and critical perspectives on schooling in American society and issues of educational equity and opportunity for urban students.
- Educational Foundations students develop and understanding of qualitative and quantitative methods for social science research in education.
- Educational Foundations students develop the dispositions and related skills necessary to work toward improving the educational experience of urban students from all cultural, linguistic, and socio-economic backgrounds
Masters of Arts Degree in Educational Foundations