C. Lamar Mayer Learning Center
The C. Lamar Mayer Learning Center serves as a fieldwork site for Special Education credential candidates and as a Saturday academic intervention and enrichment program for children from the community surrounding Cal State LA. Candidates administer and interpret assessment data, including progress monitoring, to provide instruction based on individual student needs with the goal of increasing PreK-12 students’ skills and knowledge.
The program offers children with and without disabilities an opportunity to receive whole class and small group instruction as well as individualized attention from credential candidates who have available learning materials and computer technology.
The program also serves parents of children enrolled in the center by making available parenting workshops led by bilingual trainees from our graduate programs.
Two 13 - week sessions are held that coincide with the Fall and Spring Semesters.
THE CENTER PROVIDES:
- Academic interventions and educational enrichment in reading, writing, functional academics and social skills
- Instruction in English Language Development
- Parenting Discussion Groups in English and Spanish
THE CENTER SERVES:
- Starting Spring 2017, 3 and 4 year olds in an inclusive preschool setting
- Children and youth in elementary through high school (ages 5-16) from all language backgrounds
- Students with disabilities
- Students experiencing learning difficulties
Nominal Fees will be charged based on a sliding fee scale. Scholarships are available. Call (323) 343-4400 for further information.
Email: [email protected]