Study Abroad Exchange Programs - Frequently Asked Questions

Exchange Programs are Study Abroad programs that our University has developed in partnership with an international academic institution. These partnerships result in Cal State LA students having the ability to study at the partner institution while only paying Cal State LA tuition and fees. Students are still responsible for additional living expenses, which may include host university campus fees, but the exchange option offers students an affordable option to attend a foreign university.

The following Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) are provided to assist you with your interest in studying abroad.

A few things to consider when selecting a program:

  • Is there a particular city/country you are interested in?
  • Does the host university offer courses that will allow you to meet your degree requirements? Review the host university academic information, including their catalog of courses
  • How much will this program cost? Costs vary between programs, some programs will be more affordable than others
  • Do you meet the program requirements? I.e.: GPA, language requirements, class level requirements

Estimated costs vary from country to country, program to program. Review the estimated cost information on each program. The estimated costs are useful for planning purposes, but the actual cost may vary.

Yes. Participants receive Cal State LA credit for all coursework successfully completed abroad. Each department determines how courses apply to specific degree requirements; see your academic advisor for more information on how courses may transfer.

Housing options vary from country to country, program to program. Some programs offer on-campus dorm options, other programs may expect you to find your own housing once you arrive in-country. Review the housing information on each program.

Yes. Students can generally use their federal and state financial aid when studying abroad with a CSU program. Contact a financial aid advisor on campus for more information on your specific financial aid package.

No. You can only apply to one program per semester. We will consider your backup option if you are not accepted into your first choice.

Students must submit academic transcripts, a letter of recommendation from a faculty member, and short essay questions.

No. You must be a Cal State LA student to participate in Cal State LA study abroad programs.

Applications are usually accepted several months prior to departure.

We do not recommend students study abroad in their last semester, as this may delay their graduation. Consult your academic advisor for more information.

Yes. There are a few options to study abroad as a graduate student. Please consult with your graduate advisor first to understand your program requirements first.

Yes. There are several options in English for students who do not speak a foreign language.

Both programs are exchange programs, offering students an affordable option to study abroad. Cal State LA Exchange programs are managed by the Cal State LA Study Abroad Office and are open to Cal State LA students only. CSUIP (CSU International Programs) programs are managed by the Chancellor’s office and are open to all CSU students.