Federal Work Study
The Federal Work-Study (FWS) Program is a federally funded program administered by the Financial Aid and Scholarships Office that provides part-time employment opportunities to earn money to help pay education expenses through on and off-campus jobs. Students can work up to 20 hours per week while classes are in session.
Work-Study funds are limited. Priority funding consideration will be given to students who submit their FAFSA by the March 2nd priority filing deadline.
Financial aid recipients that are interested in FWS may submit a FAN Change Form to request an award. FWS funds will be dependent upon the determination of the student's aid eligibility and the availability of funds.
- Must complete a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) for the current award year.
- Must have a financial need of at least $500.
- Must maintain Satisfactory Academic Progress standards.
- Must be enrolled at least half-time. (6 units undergraduate; 4 units graduate).
- Must have an official award notification from the Financial Aid Office.
Employer Resources for Hiring
Step 1: Complete Eligibility Verification
- Begin the hiring process by completing the attached eligibility verification
- Once the eligibility verification document has been approved by all parties move to step 2
- Note: You will receive a DocuSign document with a completed Eligibility Verification
Step 2: Complete Required Documents for each Hire or Rehire
- A signed Employee Transaction Form (ETF). Please refer to the table below for the ETF dates.
- A signed ITS Appropriate Use Agreement Student Assistants form.
- A Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act Certificate of Completion (FERPA). The FERPA form must be renewed every two years.
ETF Appointment Dates
2022-23 Academic Year
If your student is planning to Graduate in Fall 2022
Start Date: August 22, 2022
End Date: May 20, 2023
Start Date: August 22, 2022
End Date: December 17, 2022
Step 3: Attach and Submit Required Documents
Once all required documents have been completed and obtained with signatures by the department, you can submit your hiring documents here: FWS Submission Portal. Please review the Quick Reference Guide (QRG) below to guide you through the submission process.
To ensure your student workers can begin their FWS assignments at the start of the Fall 2022 semester, please upload your hiring documents to our office as soon as possible but no later than July 15, 2022. When the hiring process is complete, our FWS Coordinator will send you an email with your new hire or rehires start date.
Document Submission Quick Reference Guide (QRG)
Per Human Resource Management (HRM), live scans will be required for student worker positions that are sensitive in nature and/or have access to confidential information. The live scan procedures for all student worker positions are coordinated through the Career Center.