Cal State LA Scholarships
Welcome to the California State University, Los Angeles (Cal State LA) Scholarship website!
Cal State LA has over 400 scholarship opportunities to support your educational goals. You can browse the various scholarships available on our Cal State LA Scholarships Application site during the scholarship application season (March 5-April 1, 2019). The scholarships are made available through the generosity of our University donors, alumni, and friends. Please keep in mind that these scholarship opportunities are in addition to the various federal, state, and outside agency financial aid programs!
We have simplified the process for you to be considered for these various Cal State LA scholarship opportunities. Simply follow the steps on the general application and you will be automatically matched to the scholarships for which you meet the minimum qualifications. Final selection will then be made based on a ranking of the applicants based by the appropriate scholarship committee.
Am I eligible to apply?
You are eligible to apply if you are a current Cal State LA student and will continue to be enrolled in the upcoming academic year, in a degree, credential, or certificate program. Students who are currently finishing up their undergraduate program and plan to return to Cal State LA in Fall 2019 to pursue a master’s degree, doctorate, or credential are not eligible.
How do I apply?
- Click the “Sign In” button at the top of the Cal State LA Scholarships Application site and provide your MyCSULA credentials (Campus Identification Number (CIN) and campus password). Please note, the scholarship application link and website are only available during the scholarship application season.
- Complete the general questions provided. Be aware that information from your academic record has already been made available to the application so you don’t have to self-report information we already have on record, such as your contact information, academic information, and financial need.
- Prepare and upload a personal statement to support your application.
- Contact a faculty member, advisor or other academic reference who is willing to provide a letter of reference for you. You will need to include their name and email address in the application so they can provide their letter of support online.
When do I apply and what is the deadline?
- March 5 – April 1, 2019
What happens after I apply?
If you provide a complete application and reference by the deadline, you will automatically be considered for all scholarship opportunities for which you meet the minimum criteria. Your application will then be made available to various departments and committees for further consideration. If you are awarded a scholarship, you will receive a notification from the Center for Student Financial Aid & Scholarships and you will be able to view the award at that time on the financial aid summary screen in GET. If you have the honor of being a recipient, you may be asked to write a thank you letter to the donors or University friends that made it possible! Our goal is to award as many scholarships as possible over the summer so that funds can be available prior to the beginning of the Fall semester. If funds remain after that point, additional awards will be made. Be aware that if you receive a Cal State LA Scholarship and are also receiving other financial aid, awards may have to be adjusted in accordance with federal, state, and institutional awarding policies.
2019-20 Cal State L.A. Scholarship Application Helpful Tips and FAQs
What to include on your personal statement
- Tell your story in a concise and compelling manner limiting it to two pages or less (double-spaced).
- Focus primarily on your academic and career goals, indicating how past achievements, challenges/hardships you have overcome, or family influences are related to these goals.
- Remember you must submit an electronic copy of your statement in the application!
What to keep in mind with your reference letter(s)
When you complete the general scholarship application, you will be prompted to add the name of your reference provider and email address. Your reference provider will be notified via email. You may log in at any time to see if your reference provider has replied.
- Do not skip this step. Most scholarships require one (1) letter of recommendation. If you do not submit a letter of recommendation you may still be considered for some scholarship opportunities but your chances of winning a scholarship are greater if your recommender submits a well-written, thoughtful letter on your behalf.
- Letters of recommendation may come from a current or former professor, instructor, academic advisor, counselor – Someone who is able to evaluate your academic performance, motivation, personal strengths, and goals.
- Identify the person who will be writing the letter of recommendation. Get their agreement that they will be able to submit the reference by the deadline and have their email address and name handy to submit in the application. If your Reference Provider is a Cal State LA faculty or staff member, use their official Cal State LA email address. Let them know they will receive an email with instructions on how to submit the reference. You might consider giving them some information about your accomplishments to assist them in the preparation.
- Be sure your reference provider knows they must submit the reference electronically no later than 5pm on April 8, 2019.
- Be sure to thank the person for agreeing to write and submit a letter of recommendation on your behalf!
What do I do if I notice my major or GPA do not seem accurate in the Scholarship application system?
The Scholarship Application is updated nightly based on your official University record which you can also view in GET. Once major or grade changes are processed by the Registrar’s Office, the information will automatically be updated. For best consideration, any changes must be completed by April 1, 2019.
What to expect after submitting the General Scholarship Application?
- An email confirming receipt of the application
- If you are selected for an award, a notification email will be sent to you by the department who selected you to win the scholarship
- Receipt of any award must be coordinated in accordance to federal, state and institutional awarding policies
For additional assistance or any other questions you may contact the Center for Student Financial Aid & Scholarships at 323-343-6260.