Background checks are required for student workers if they will be performing work in which a background check is required by law, the work accesses Level I data or involves direct contact with minor children. Background checks are conducted once a conditional offer of employment is made.
Determine if Live Scan is Required
To determine if a Live Scan is required, answer the following questions:
- Do the job duties for the position have any potential exposure to Level 1 confidential data (CSU Information Security policy (i.e. ICSUAM 8030)?
- Do the job duties involve direct contact with minor children (under the age of 18)?
- Does the position require a background check by law?
If you answer yes to any of the above questions, a Live Scan is required. You must indicate this on the Student Employment Requisition and the Handshake job posting. Live Scan background checks are conducted once a conditional offer of employment is made. Once we are notified of the results of Live Scan and they are cleared, we will email to schedule the hiring appointment to verify their I-9 employment eligibility.
The Live Scan appointment will be conducted at the Cal State LA Department of Public Safety, which is listed as building 46 on the campus map. There is no cost for Cal State LA student employees.
Extensions of Temporary Appointment
To determine if a Live Scan is required, answer the following question:
- Have the job duties of the position changed?
If yes, you must submit a new Student Employment Requisition and address questions one to three above to determine if Live Scan is required. If yes, Live Scan background checks will be conducted once the conditional offer of extension is made. Once we are notified of the results of Live Scan and they are cleared, we will email the notification of extension. Students may not begin work until Live Scan is cleared.
Request Live Scan for Federal Work-Study
To request a Live Scan for a Federal Work-Study eligible candidate, send the Student Employment Requisition and Employment Transaction Form to [email protected].
If a Live Scan is required, Career Center staff will contact the student to arrange a Live Scan appointment. Once we are notified of the results of the Live Scan and they have cleared, we will inform the Federal Work-Study program.
Live Scan Appointment
If your position requires a Live Scan, Career Center staff will email you to schedule the Live Scan appointment.
Before the Live Scan Appointment
- Complete and sign the Information Practices Act Notice Form and the Live Scan Application Form. These forms are sent to students via DocuSign.
- Print the Live Scan form (page 1) and bring with you to your Live Scan appointment. If you do not have access to a printer, please reply to the appointment confirmation email, and the Career Center can arrange a time to assist you with printing the form 30 minutes before your scheduled Live Scan appointment.
- Once you have completed the Live Scan appointment, email your name, CIN and the ATI number listed on the Live Scan application to [email protected].
During the Live Scan Appointment
- Only you will be admitted to the appointment site. If you have an accommodation need, please notify the Career Center staff when you schedule your appointment.
- Upon arrival to the Department of Public Safety, please call 323-343-3700 or use the building intercom.
For more information, visit Live Scan Fingerprinting Services.