Find a Job On Campus
On-campus student jobs are a great way to gain skills and experience to support your career development. No experience is required to apply to many student positions on campus.
Types of Student Jobs
The student jobs across campus vary depending upon the type of work that interests you. Opportunities on campus are listed below.
The Career Center coordinates the following student jobs within departments across campus.
- Student Assistant - Perform duties that involve clerical, public contact, and manual or analytical skills. These roles can include working as a receptionist at a front desk or service center, providing IT tech or public safety support, and assisting student engagement programs.
- Instructional Student Assistant - Performs work in an academic setting such as tutoring, helping out in laboratories, grading and undergraduate research assistantships.
To be eligible for a student assistant job, you must be an undergraduate, graduate or doctoral student who is:
- currently enrolled at Cal State LA with the primary goal of achieving a degree
- not academically disqualified
Students can work up to 20 hours per week while classes are in session and 40 hours per week while classes are not in session. The hours vary depending upon the department's needs.
The Federal Work-Study (FWS) Program is a federally funded program administered by the Financial Aid and Scholarships Office that provides part-time employment opportunities to earn money to help pay education expenses through on and off-campus jobs. Contact the Federal Work-Study Program for more information.
Federal Work-Study jobs are posted on Cal State LA Handshake.
University Auxiliary Services
The University Auxiliary Services (UAS) coordinates a wide range of student jobs. Opportunities can include supporting a campus department with administrative duties or helping students succeed through tutoring and peer mentoring.
Jobs are posted on the UAS Employment website.
Human Resources Management
The campus Human Resources Management office coordinates the graduate student positions listed below.
- Graduate Assistant - Assists faculty or teaching staff with professional and technical duties associated with the subject or program in which the graduate student is doing work.
- Teaching Associate - Provides graduate students with practical teaching experience in the field related to their study. Assignments are primarily involved with class and lab instruction.
Graduate student positions are posted on the Human Resources Management webpage under Faculty and Academic Personnel Employment Opportunities.
Search and Apply
Search for jobs on Cal State LA Handshake by filtering for "On-Campus" jobs.
To apply for a student assistant or instructional student assistant position, you must complete the Student Employment Application and upload it to the job posting on Cal State LA Handshake. For additional information about applying to student assistant jobs, including tips on how to complete your application, view our Student Training: How to Apply to Student Assistant Jobs.
You can make your application competitive by using our resources to write your résumé and cover letter and prepare for interviews. Connect with career advisors for support with effectively searching and applying for on-campus jobs.