Setting Up A Repeating Weekly Meeting Session (Advanced)
Instead of embedding your meeting inside of Canvas, you can create it through Zoom and post a link.
Now that you have activated your CalStateLA zoom account, you are now able to host recurring Zoom meetings. Follow the steps below to go through the process of hosting a meeting.
- Click on Meetings and click on Schedule a New Meeting.
- On the following screen, be sure to select the appropriate date of the meeting. Check the Recurring meeting checkbox. Adjust the recurring meeting settings as needed.
- Be sure video and audio is on for both you, the host, and the participants who will join this meeting. We recommend checking the Enable join before host checkbox. This is so in case your participants enter the meeting early, they can still interact with one another in the meeting room before you arrive. Furthermore, we also recommend checking the Mute participants upon entry checkbox. This is to ensure your participants can control when they enable their mic feed in the meeting room. This further ensures that your meeting isn’t accidentally disrupted when someone new enters the room in the middle of a meeting.
- Once you have selected the appropriate settings, click on the Save button.
- You can now copy your meeting link into your course so that students can access the room.
Posting a Recurring Zoom Meeting to Canvas (Advanced)
There are two ways we recommend posting your recurring Zoom meeting to your Canvas course. One is through the Pages feature in Canvas, and one is through the Calendar feature in Canvas.
Posting Your Meeting through Pages
- Click on Pages and create a new page. For assistance in making a new page, please visit <https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-13018-4152724253>.
- Under Description, paste your Zoom meeting link and add instructions for participants to join the meeting. Also include a link for Joining a Zoom Meeting, which is provided by CETL.
- Publish the page once complete and add it to a module. For assistance in making modules, please visit <https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-13129-415241424>. Once complete, click on your link.
NOTE: Publish your module once you are sure that you would like it to be visible to students.
Posting Your Meeting through Calendar
- Click on Calendar.
- Click on + to create a new event.
- Click on the dropdown next to Calendar and select which course you would like.
- Click on More Options.
- Name the meetings under Event Title.
- Under Description, provide the meeting link, time(s) and day(s) of the scheduled meetings, and a few sentences as to why Zoom is being used in the course. Also include a link for Joining a Zoom Meeting, provided by CETL, and a link to the CalStateLA ITS page.
- Select the Date for the first meeting and the Time that the meetings will be held.
- Check the box for Duplicate. Enter how often and how long you would like to meet for.
- Check the box for Count to number each meeting.
- Click Create Event when complete and click on your meeting link.