New International Freshman Admits
After you receive an official offer of admission, please follow these important steps to ensure a smooth transition to Cal State LA (click on each section to see more information):
(1) Submit the Enrollment Confirmation Deposit
- For Fall admission, the deposit is due by May 1st.
- For Spring admission, the deposit is due by November 1st.
(2) Satisfy the Terms of your Admission Offer
What is Provisional Admission?
Most first-time freshman applicants are still attending high school at the time of application and admission decisions are normally made on self-reported information before fall grades are available. Therefore, offers of admission for first-time freshman applicants are almost always provisional.
Admission offers will remain provisional until we have verified that you reported accurately on your admission application and that you meet all of the following admission requirements by the end of the Spring term, prior to enrollment at Cal State LA:
U.S. High School Graduates
Foreign High School Graduates
Completion of each of the courses in the comprehensive pattern of college preparatory subject requirement (“a-g” courses) with a grade of 'C' or better.
Completion of a secondary education program intended for college/university preparation.
Grade Point Average (GPA)
Have an overall final high school GPA in college preparatory courses that is the same, or higher than, what was reported on the Admission Application, or as calculated based on preliminary transcripts. If your final high school GPA falls below admission cutoffs, the admission offer will be rescinded.
High School Completion
Graduation from high school, or earned a California High School Equivalency Certificate or GED.
Obtain the equivalency to the completion of a high school level diploma, which may include successful examination scores.
Students in UK Secondary System: Completion of 2 A-Levels (grades D or higher) and 3-O Levels (grades C or higher) OR 4 AS-Levels (grades D or higher) and 3-O Levels (grades C or higher) in academic subjects.
Students in the IB System: Completion of IB Diploma with at least 6 subjects (3 HL and 3 SL) and an overall average of 4 or higher.
|English Language Proficiency||
Confirmed satisfaction of the English Language Proficiency requirement.
Failure to meet the above admission conditions will result in the rescinding of the admission offer. To be considered for admission to Cal State LA for a future term, please be aware that you must meet admission deadlines and requirements that are in effect at that time.
If admitted to Pre-Nursing, you must also meet the following criteria to remain in this specialized program:
- Have a minimum 3.50 GPA in the comprehensive pattern of college preparatory subjects (the 'A-G' courses); and
- Have earned 'B' or better grades in the following year-long high school courses:
- Intermediate Algebra, Algebra II, or Integrated Math III;
- Biology with lab; and
- Chemistry with lab.
Be aware: Each term of the year-long course must be completed with a grade of 'B' or better. If AP, IB, or Honors courses are taken in these areas, applicants must also earn 'B' or better grades in the course.
For Fall term admission, official final High School transcript(s) showing the date of graduation should be submitted no later than July 15. For Spring term admission, transcripts are due November 1. After final academic records are reviewed, you will receive an email sharing that your admission has been finalized, or rescinded for not meeting the conditions.
Students are allowed to register for classes prior to the audit of their admission decision. Some students may be required to self-report their senior grades prior to orientation to ensure they are on track for completion of the admission requirements.
(3) Apply for your I-20 or SEVIS Transfer
Applicants holding, or applying for an F-1 visa must complete and submit the online New Student I-20 Verification Form with signatures and appropriate documentation to show proof of funding. If you are interested in attending Cal State LA, please do not wait for your admission decision before submitting these documents.
If you are currently studying in the US, and please request to transfer your SEVIS to Cal State LA by completing and submitting the Transfer to Cal State LA Form. Please do not transfer the SEVIS until you receive the offer of admission, and you know that you plan to attend the University for the admit term.
For other important information, including the deadline for the I-20/SEVIS transfer process, please contact the International Programs Office at (323) 343-3170, [email protected], or visit the International Programs webpage.
(4) Apply for Housing
Living on campus offers numerous opportunities for students to build lifelong friendships, develop as leaders and achieve academic success. Our new 1,500-bed student housing complex will feature tower communities designed around a park! To learn more, visit the Housing and Residence Life webpage. (Be aware: Before you apply for Housing, you must first submit your Enrollment Confirmation Deposit (ECD).)
(5) Submit your Final Transcript(s)
To verify your final admission eligibility, please plan to submit official, final high school/secondary transcripts and, if applicable, official exam scores, after high school graduation.
- To be considered final, the transcript must include courses/grades completed through final semester of your senior year, and your high school graduation date.
- If the successful passage of examinations are required for your secondary/high school diploma, please also submit the official results/marks from these exams.
- If you have already graduated from high school, please submit an official transcript after you submit the Enrollment Confirmation Deposit. You do not have to wait until the final transcript deadline; documents can be submitted earlier if you have already graduated from high school.
- If you took courses at a college/university prior to high school graduation, and the credit is not noted on your high school transcript, please also plan to submit a separate college transcript.
For Fall admission, final transcripts (and test scores) are due July 15th. If you take college courses in the summer prior to enrolling at Cal State LA, you must submit another set of final transcript(s) with grades posted, by September 1st. For Spring admission, final transcripts (and test scores) are due November 1st. No college courses should be taken in the fall for Spring admission.
For more information about official academic records, and how to submit them, visit the Submitting Documents webpage. To view the specific missing documents, please visit your GET Self-Service Student Center To Do List. Once in the To Do list, click on the "To Do Item" name for more details, including the name of the specific school for a required transcript.
(6) Review the Cost of Attendance and Financial Aid options
The average student expenses will vary from student to student, depending on his/her living arrangements and individual needs. For the estimated cost of attendance at Cal State LA, visit the Cost of Attendance webpage, and select the appropriate academic year. As an international student, please also include the CSU non-resident fee to your estimated attendance cost.
(7) Attend Golden Eagle Orientation
New and returning undergraduate students are required to attend Golden Eagle Orientation to learn more about the university, and receive academic advisement and assistance with class registration. Additional information will be sent beginning in April for Fall admission, and in November for Spring admission, to students who have accepted the offer of admission. For more information, visit the Golden Eagle Orientation webpage.
(8) Attend an Advisement and Registration Session
In addition to remote orientation, students who accepted the offer of admission will also receive information about attending an Advisement and Registration session. At the session, you will receive academic advisement about classes and help with class registration. Please expect to hear from an academic advisor beginning in mid-May for Fall admission, and in November for Spring admission.
(9) Check in with the International Programs Office
The Cal State LA International Programs Office provides immigration and visa counseling for international applicants and students. They process and issue I-20s for study at Cal State LA. For more information, please visit the International Programs webpage.
(10) Review your GET To Do List and Stay Connected
- The Office of Admissions and Recruitment will send communications to the "preferred" email address as indicated in your GET Student Center. You may update your contact information in GET.
- The Center for Student Financial Aid and other campus offices will send messages to your Cal State LA email address so it is important that you also regularly check your campus email mailbox.
- Please remember to regularly check your email and GET Self-Service Student Center To Do List. Once in the To Do list, click on the "To Do Item" name for more details, including the name of the specific school for a required transcript.
- For instructions on how to login to GET, visit the GET webpage.
(11) Activate your myCalStateLA ID & 2-Step Verification
After you accept our offer of admission, please activate your myCalStateLA ID and then sign up for 2-Step Verification. This is different from your GET login information. Once you have your myCalStateLA ID and password, you may begin to use your myCalStateLA portal and campus email.
Be aware: The Office of Admissions and Recruitment will continue to send communications to the "preferred" email address indicated in your GET Student Center, which may not be your Cal State LA email address. However, other Cal State LA offices will send messages to your campus email address. If your preferred email is not your Cal State LA email, please regularly check both your preferred and campus email mailboxes.
(12) Request use of a Preferred First Name (if applicable)
Cal State LA recognizes that some students may wish to use a Preferred First Name, other than their legal name, to identify themselves. The University acknowledges that a Preferred First Name can, and should, be used where possible in the course of university business and education. Information for students requesting a preferred first name is available on the University Registrar website. Please take a moment to review this webpage, and see if using a Preferred First Name is right for you.
Be aware that failure to satisfy all admission and enrollment requirements and deadlines will result in the withdrawal of the offer of admission or prevent you from enrolling in the University for the admitted term. Students who do not successfully enroll in the term of admission (or end up withdrawing from all courses after initial enrollment) must reapply for future admission consideration, and meet the requirements that are in effect at that time.