Local Preference for Transfers
Cal State LA is a very popular campus. We receive more applications than can be accommodated. Cal State LA has a long history of commitment to access, the local community, and social upward mobility. Based on CSU and campus policy, preference for freshmen and transfer admission is offered to applicants who are considered 'local.'
As part of our commitment to provide access to veterans, Cal State LA gives 'Local Preference' to all military veterans regardless of their school of origin. This Veterans category includes active-duty, reservists, and National Guard.
See the Transfer Application and Admission page for information on how the Local Preference is used in the admission process.
Transfer applicants who are transferring directly from one of the schools listed below are considered 'local' if:
- The majority of their transferable units were completed at a local preference college;
- Or, their last school of attendance (with earned transferable units) is a local preference college;
- Or, they will/have earned an Associate Degree for Transfer (AA-T/AS-T) in a major deemed 'similar' to the Cal State LA major from a local preference college.
Local Preference Community Colleges
- East Los Angeles College (LACCD)
- Glendale Community College
- Los Angeles City College (LACCD)
- Los Angeles Harbor College (LACCD)
- Los Angeles Mission College (LACCD)
- Los Angeles Southwest College (LACCD)
- Los Angeles Trade-Technical College (LACCD)
- Los Angeles Valley College (LACCD)
- Pasadena City College
- Pierce College (LACCD)
- Rio Hondo College
- Santa Monica College
- West Los Angeles College (LACCD)
Cal State LA also gives 'Local Preference' to all military veterans regardless of the school attended. This Veterans category includes active-duty, reservists and National Guard.