- The program can be completed in less than one year.
- Learn about the types of career opportunities in the field of biotechnology.
- Develop skills and competencies to work as a biomanufacturing technician.
- Recognized by industry leader BIOCOM California Institute.
- Digital badges are awarded to showcase knowledge and skills (see below).
View/download the Biomanufacturing Sciences and Applications Online Certificate Program flyer.
According to the U.S. Department of Labor, Bureau of Labor Statistics, job growth of up to 7% is projected in this field between 2020 and 2030, with median annual salaries between $48,140 and $97,410 in 2021.
In addition, related life science organizations in California expanded employment by 6% in 2022, which outpaced all other industries in California and the U.S. overall during the same period.*
*According to Biocom California’s 2023 Life Science Economic Impact Report
The Biomanufacturing Sciences and Applications Online Certificate Program is ideal for:
- Those seeking entry-level job opportunities in biomanufacturing
- Those seeking to advance in new opportunities
- Those seeking to transition to careers in biotechnology
- Students with a background in science but no degree, including high school graduates, career technical education programs, or community college students who have already earned some units
- Recent science graduates who want to learn about biotechnology to fill experience requirements for entry-level job opportunities
- Veterans who are interested in gaining medical and science experience, and enter a field with growth and excellent salary potential.
The cost of the Biomanufacturing Sciences and Applications Online Certificate Program is $4,950.
Federal financial aid is not currently available for this program. However, you can apply for a private student loan.
Cal State LA and the local Workforce Investment Board (WIB) are working together to ensure that our state has a well-trained and sustainable workforce. If you have been laid off due to poor economic conditions, company closure, or mass layoff, you may be eligible to receive free career development training.
To find out if you qualify for paid training, contact your local American Job Center (formerly One-Stop Center) to have them determine your eligibility to receive free training. Be sure to mention that you want to take classes through the College of Professional and Global Education at Cal State LA. Visit CareerOneStop to find your nearest American Job Center or call 1-877-US2-JOBS (1-877-872-5627) for more information. Important: You must contact your local American Job Center for application and approval first. Free enrollment in our WIB-approved programs is not available without prior written approval.
Registration information is forthcoming.
Comprised of three 40-hour courses, participants will learn the theory and gain experience in biomanufacturing including state-of-the-art techniques, instrumentation, research, and process development, practices, current guidelines, industry quality standards, regulatory compliances, cleaning and sanitizing of equipment, and emerging applications for science and technology. The Biomanufacturing Sciences and Applications Certificate Program is asynchronous (on your own time) and synchronous (scheduled class meetings).
The Biomanufacturing Sciences and Applications Online Certificate Program schedule is forthcoming.
To complete the program, students must:
- Meet attendance and/or participation requirements
- Pass all quizzes with a score of 75% or better
- Complete all other assignments by the due dates
Students who complete the Biomanufacturing Sciences and Applications Online Certificate Program are eligible to receive a Digital Badge from Cal State Long Beach's College of Professional and Continuing Education. Each Digital Badge is embedded with a link to secure and specific information confirming that the participant has obtained the skills and competencies described in the program. The badge also includes the participant’s name, the course title, and the completion date. Badges are shareable and can be uploaded to CVs, resumes, social media profiles, or other digital platforms. Learn more about Digital Badges.