University 9000 (UNIV 9000)
A graduate/doctoral degree student is required to maintain continuous enrollment in every fall and spring semester from the beginning of the program of study until the awarding of the degree. Enrollment during Winter or Summer Session is required only if the student plans to graduate during that particular term. All students must be enrolled during the term in which they graduate. Unless granted an approved leave of absence, a graduate/doctoral student who fails to register each semester has discontinued enrollment in the graduate/doctoral degree program. The purpose of this policy is to keep students on track to completion within the required seven-year period.
Every semester, graduate/doctoral degree students must be registered in a course, or in University (UNIV) 9000, or must have an approved leave of absence. Registration in UNIV 9000 is restricted to graduate/doctoral degree students who have been advanced to candidacy and have completed all coursework (including all allowable research units) but need additional time to complete their thesis, project, or dissertation. If a student wishes to take a semester off before resuming coursework, she or he must take a Leave of Absence, not UNIV 9000.
Although UNIV 9000 is a zero-unit course, the fee is based on one unit of credit for payment purposes; no unit credit is added to the student's program or transcript. This course is not eligible for financial aid.
You are responsible for maintaining your graduation progress through the Graduation Office (SSB-3380). For more information regarding filing for graduation or graduation date changes, contact the Graduation Office at (323) 343-3890.
You must enroll by the University Add Deadline. Upcoming dates can be found online.
Please note the following important dates for Summer and Fall 2023:
April 17: Registration begins for continuing students
May 16: Late add fee begins for continuing students
June 7: Add/Drop deadline
June 16: Census
April 17: Registration begins
August 7: $25 late registration fee begins for continuing students
September 5: Add/Drop deadline
September 18: Census
- Complete the Graduate Continuous Enrollment Form provided by the College of Professional and Global Education (PaGE).
- Obtain the approval of a Graduate Advisor on the Graduate Continuous Enrollment Form. Before signing the form, a Graduate Advisor will check to make sure that the student has been Advanced to Candidacy and that all of the student’s coursework has been completed. A plan and timeline for completing the thesis, project, or dissertation must be established with the graduate advisor and committee chair as a condition of approval for enrollment in UNIV 9000.
Scan and email the completed Graduate Continuous Enrollment Form to PaGE Enrollment Services to be registered. Payment is due at the time of enrollment.
- Registration must be completed by the University Add Deadline of the session in which the student wishes to maintain continuous enrollment. Upcoming dates can be found online, or contact PaGE for enrollment deadlines.
- If paying with a debit or credit card, a link to submit payment will be forwarded to you once your paperwork is received. Payments processed via credit/debit will be accessed a Cashnet service fee of 2.65%.
- If paying with a check, please make checks payable to Cal State LA. You will submit payment at One Stop Financial Services, Student Services Building (SSB) #2380. IT IS IMPORTANT TO INCLUDE YOUR CIN ON THE CHECK.
Enrollment during Summer Session is only required if the student wishes to graduate during that term.