Who Should Enroll?
Individuals who benefit from taking classes through Open University include:
- Community members who are interested in taking courses in diverse subjects to pursue personal areas of interest or expand their professional skills
- Students who have left the university with a need to increase their GPA in order to be considered for reinstatement
- Students planning to enter a post-baccalaureate or graduate program who need to fulfill prerequisite courses or improve their GPA
- Returned U.S. Veterans interested in applying for their benefits as they embark on their academic careers
How to Register: Spring Semester 2023
- Enrollment through Open University is on a space-available basis with the consent of the instructor. If a course is full, additional approval will be needed from the academic department.
- The registration fee is $320 per unit.
- Regardless of enrollment, matriculated students have priority access to a seat in the course.
Spring Semester 2023 registration is now closed.
Read more below.
- Complete the Open University Intent to Enroll Form. A Campus Identification Number (CIN) will be generated for each student.
- Students will need to reach out to the instructor to request a permit be issued in GET (Golden Eagle Territory), the Cal State LA Student Portal, for their course(s). The College of Professional and Global Education (PaGE) will provide contact information for instructors.
- Once the permit is in place (see the above steps), students will inform PaGE Enrollment Services of the course(s) permitted. Students do not self-enroll.
- Cal State LA's College of Professional and Global Education (PaGE) Enrollment Services will forward students a link to submit payment.
- Paying with a debit/credit card will incur a Non-Refundable 2.65% service fee.
- If paying with a check, please make checks payable to Cal State LA. Submit payment through Cal State LA's One-Stop Financial Services. It is important to include your CIN on your check.
- Once payment is received, PaGE will proceed with enrollment in GET and notify students.
How to Apply Credit to a Degree
Bachelor's Degree Programs: Up to 24 credits earned through Open University can go toward a bachelor's degree.
Master's Degree Programs: Up to nine (9) credits earned through Open University may be applied toward a master's degree and/or credential program with department pre-approval.
- Students may take up to 18 credits per semester. They may not enroll in directed or independent study, research, thesis, fieldwork, cooperative education courses, or courses with the suffix "R."
- Students planning to enroll in graduate courses (5000-level) must obtain a memo from the appropriate department chair authorizing the enrollment and submit it to PaGE Enrollment Services.
- Students who have been formally admitted to the University must be on inactive status for at least one semester before they may attend Open University. This requirement applies to disqualified, out-of-state, international, and resident students.
- Open University students must also comply with University and department regulations regarding prerequisites, withdrawals, grading, and student conduct.
Drops/Withdrawals and Refunds
Students enrolled in credit-bearing courses through Open University are entitled to a refund when they follow the campus-established procedures to drop classes or withdraw from courses as outlined below.
The Petition Withdrawal Request (drop form) can be obtained here. Appropriate instructor and department chair (as needed) signatures are required. Once approvals are obtained, please forward that information to [email protected].
Students who drop a course or withdraw after the start of the semester will receive a pro-rated refund of registration fees. The pro-rated refund is based on the date on which the Course/Program Withdrawal and Request for Refund Form are received in the PaGE office.
Students who withdraw after the 12th week of the semester will not be eligible to receive a refund of registration fees and will be responsible for 100% of fees for the term.
A $10 administrative fee will be withheld from all refunds unless withdrawal is the result of a campus regulation, compulsory military service, disability, death of the student, or class cancellation by the College of Professional and Global Education (PaGE).
Refund checks will be mailed to the address noted on the Course/Program Withdrawal and Request for Refund Form. The refund checks are mailed approximately 4-6 weeks after the request is received by PaGE. See the Open University Registration Form for refund deadline dates. For Daily Refund Proration Table details, please visit Cal State LA's One-Stop Financial Services.
For established programs, students must drop courses or withdraw before the first day of classes to receive a 100% refund of registration fees less a $10.00 administrative fee. A signed Course/Program Withdrawal and Request for Refund Form dated before the first day of class must be emailed to PaGE Enrollment Services Center in order to obtain a 100% refund.
Students who drop a course or withdraw from a program after the start of the semester will receive a pro-rata refund of registration fees. The pro-rata refund is based on the date on which the Course/Program Withdrawal and Request for Refund Form are received in the PaGE office.
Students who withdraw after the seventh week of the semester will not be eligible to receive a refund of registration fees and will be responsible for 100% of fees for the term.
A $10.00 administrative fee will be withheld from all refunds unless withdrawal is the result of a campus regulation, compulsory military service, disability, death of the student, or class cancellation by the College of Professional and Global Education.
Refund checks will be mailed to the address noted on the Course/Program Withdrawal and Request for Refund Form. The refund checks are mailed approximately four to six weeks after the request is received by the College. Visit the University Scheduling office webpage for Important Dates and Deadlines. For Daily Refund Proration, The One-Stop Financial Service Website has a Daily Refund Proration Table for your use.
Open University Records
Please visit the University Records Office webpage for all transcript requests or call (323) 343-3873.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Can international students take Open University classes and get an I-20?
An international student can take Open University classes, but only if a current I-20 has been issued by another college or university. I-20s are not eligible to be issued with an enrollment via Open University. The normal rules for Open University registration apply (get instructor's signature and department approval stamp for each class).
2. How do I audit Open University courses?
Obtain approval in the Enrollment Services Center for (PaGE), University Student Union, Room 105, before paying fees and no later than the add deadline of any term. Regular attendance is expected, but auditors are not permitted to complete assignments or take examinations.
3. How do I take a traditional graded course for credit/non-credit?
Fill out the "Request for Nontraditional Grading" form at the Enrollment Services Center for (PaGE), University Student Union, Room 105. Next, get approval from Cal State LA's Office of Enrollment Services at Administration 409. Then pay your fees at the Cashier's Office at Administration 128. Class attendance and participation in exams are required.
Contact and Office Hours
For more information, visit the College of Professional and Global Education's Student Services, located in the University-Student Union,1st floor, Room 105, or call (323) 343-4900.
Office Hours: Monday - Friday: 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.