Alpha Kappa Delta (AKD)
Alpha Kappa Delta is the international sociology honor society. AKD aims, “to acknowledge and promote excellence in the scholarship in the study of social problems, sociology, intellectual activities that lead to the improvement in the human condition.”
WHY JOIN AKD?
- Membership is for a lifetime.
- Membership looks great on your resumé.
- One-year subscription to Sociological Inquiry.
- Student Paper Competitions. Winners receive a cash prize and travel money to participate at ASA.
- Student Travel Money. AKD provides grants to present at regional meetings.
- Mentorship Program. Connect and network with other AKD members and professionals.
- Undergraduate Symposium. AKD hosts a virtual symposium to celebrate student research.
You are eligible to join AKD if you meet the following criteria:
- Enrolled as a Sociology Major or Minor
- Have Junior, Senior, or Graduate standing
- Minimum GPA of 3.3; minimum major GPA of 3.0
- Completed at least 12 units of Sociology coursework (for grad students, 9 units).
BECOMING A MEMBER
The Department sends an annual email invitation to qualifying undergraduate and graduate students. New members are inducted into AKD at Honors Convocation.