Admissions to the MPA Program

The next admissions cycle for the MPA program will be for entrance in Spring 2025. Competitive candidates for the program tend to have a strong academic record, work experience in the public or nonprofit sector that allows for connections between theory and practice, and a clear vision of their professional career goals and how the MPA program will help in achieving those goals. Applicants must be accepted by both the University and the MPA program to enroll in the program.

University Application

Applicants must submit an application online through Cal State Apply. Information on the University's graduate admissions processes can be found at the following links:

For questions about your Cal State Apply application, please call the Office of Admissions and Recruitment: (323) 343-3901.

MPA Program Application Minimum Requirements

The MPA program has the following minimum admissions requirements:

  • A GPA in the last 60 semester (90 quarter) units of 3.0 or better
  • Two strong letters of recommendation on official letterhead from work supervisors and/or college instructors
  • An excellent personal statement appropriate to the program
  • A current professional résumé
  • Unofficial transcripts from all colleges and universities attended including Cal State LA (official transcripts must be mailed to the University)

All program application materials, including letters of recommendation, personal statement, and resume are submitted through Cal State Apply. GRE scores are not required or expected.

The Spring 2025 application filing period opens on August 1, 2024.

Be aware, in addition to the admission application(s), all supporting academic documents (and if applicable, English Language Proficiency Exam scores) must be submitted to the Office of Admissions and Recruitment within 2-3 weeks of Cal State Apply application submission. Please plan ahead.

Spring 2025 Admissions Application Deadline: 

Domestic Deadline: October 15, 2024 International Deadline: August 31, 2024

(for students who will require a
F1 visa or I-20 to study in the U.S.)