To facilitate timely submission, please submit the Admission Appeal Packet and supporting documents online via the Admissions Uploading Documents site.
Be aware: This appeals process is NOT for Residency-related appeals. If you are appealing a campus residency decision, visit the California Residency webpage.
Admission decisions are based on the evaluation of the information reported on your Cal State Apply admission application, and/or received academic records. Failure to meet the established admission criteria, enrollment requirements, or related deadlines, will negatively affect your admission/enrollment eligibility and may not be appealed.
Appeals must be submitted in writing, and include a basis for the appeal, and supporting documentation. Decisions are rarely overturned and are considered only for extraordinary reasons beyond the control of the applicant. For admission decision appeals, you must prove that you meet the established admission criteria for your academic classification, and/or that you did not miss an admission and enrollment related deadline.
Regardless of the reason, only one appeal may be submitted for an academic term so the packet must be clear and compelling when submitted. Applicants submitting appeals will be notified via e-mail regarding the final appeal decisions, and are advised not to change their existing college or educational pursuits while waiting for the appeal decision. The University uses e-mail as the official means of communication, so please verify that your current e-mail address on Golden Eagle Territory (GET) is accurate. Appeals will be considered once, and decisions rendered are final and non-negotiable.
In preparing your appeal, please keep this in mind:
- Letters of recommendation will not be considered.
- Appeal letters explaining the basis for the appeal must be written and submitted by the applicant.
- Applicants may only submit one appeal per term.
For all appeals, be aware of the following:
- Appeals must be submitted within the time frame stated in the notification; appeals for denied admission decisions must be submitted within 15 business days of notification.
- Be aware: The 15-day appeal timeline does not apply to the withdrawal of admission offers or other compliance-related matters – please refer to the notification for the appeal timeframe.
- Appeals will be considered once, and decisions rendered are final and non-negotiable.
- Appeal packets must include:
- Cal State LA Admissions Appeal Form (download, fill out, save (and print) to submit with the packet)
- Letter of Appeal that explains the basis for the appeal, which may include how you meet the requirement, or how an extenuating circumstance prevented you from meeting a deadline.
- Documentation to support your appeal (e.g., transcripts, test scores, proof of mailing/submission of requested information, etc.)
- Incomplete packets will not be considered and will not be returned for completion. They will be automatically denied, and an appeal cannot be re-submitted for the same term.
- An acknowledgment of receipt of your appeal packet will be e-mailed to you within 5-7 business days.