Visit Health Watch for COVID-19 updates. Find Employee Return to Campus and Student Return to Campus information.
Emergency Notification

Conduct or CARE?

The CARE Team supports students who are in distress. The CARE Team does not address behavior that is unlawful or violates University policies. Some student behavior is best handled by the Office of Student Conduct.

When to Refer to Student Conduct

  • Dishonesty (cheating, plagiarism, furnishing false information, forgery, etc.)
  • Misuse, unauthorized entry into, campus property
  • Substantial disruption or infringement on rights of others
  • Substantial obstruction of traffic flow
  • Disorderly, lewd, indecent, obscene behavior
  • Physical abuse
  • Threats
  • Intimidation
  • Harassment
  • Sexual misconduct
  • Hazing
  • Drugs
  • Alcohol
  • Theft
  • Destruction or damage to property
  • Weapons and dangerous chemicals
  • Unauthorized use of academic presentations for a commercial purpose
  • Misuse of University computer facilities or resources (copyright, obscene messages, etc.)
  • Violation of any published University policy or rule
  • Failure to comply or interference with a University official’s direction
  • Violation of a law that poses substantial threat
  • Interference with Student Conduct procedures
  • Helping someone else violate a policy or code or law

When to Refer to the CARE Team

Refer a student to the CARE Team if the student:

  • appears to be struggling academically and/or is not attending classes regularly,
  • reports feeling overwhelmed and/or uncomfortable transitioning to campus,
  • experiences feelings of isolation, loneliness, or disconnection from peers,
  • writes or talks about threats to harm self or others,
  • reports family problems, relationship problems and/or a break-up,
  • experiences the loss of a loved one,
  • asks for help with personal problems beyond the scope of your role/expertise,
  • is consistently anxious, stressed, and/or depressed,
  • may benefit from personalized outreach regarding resources available on campus.

When to Call the University Department of Public Safety

  • If there is imminent danger of the student harming themselves or others, call 911
  • Medical emergency
  • To report a crime

What to do When it is Less Clear to Whom to Refer

If a student is engaging in aggressive or inappropriate behaviors, is violating boundaries that have been set, or fails  to comply with requests, consider the following:

  • Are there underlying issues that may be leading to the behavior?  Are there campus resources with whom you can consult?
    • disability status (OSD)
    • immigration status (EOP; Dreamer’s Resource Center; International Student Office)
    • military-connected (Veteran’s Resource Center)
    • Cross-Cultural Centers
    • stress, fatigue, personal issue (CAPS; Director of Student Support)
  • Is it safe to have a one-on-one conversation to alert the student to their behavior and the effect it is having on the learning environment, other students, staff, etc.? Reiterate behavioral expectations. Refer to campus resources as appropriate.
  • In the moment: Request, warn, call for help