The purpose of the Alternative Transportation Committee (ATN) is to assist Cal State LA in identifying and prioritizing recommended opportunities to improve pedestrian, bicycling, transit and other non-single occupancy vehicle commute modes to overcome barriers to the use by members of the campus community.
Developed as a policy from the CSU Transportation and Parking Policy, the Cal State LA ATN committee goals are considered to meet the transportation needs of students, faculty, staff and visitors at its campus with safe, equitable, and cost-effective mobility options that deliver infinite and accessible opportunities.
Responsibility and Authority:
- Develop a report of the campus' transportation needs and recommendations to improve bicycle, pedestrian and transit commute mode share.
- Provide input to the development of the campus' Transportation Demand Management Plan.
- Evaluate the effectiveness of the campus' Transportation Demand Management strategies through cost/benefit analysis and hourly utilization of various transportation modes.
- Identify and recommend Transportation Demand Management strategies to prioritize for campus investment and help request/seek funding for those strategies.
- Use campus transportation performance data to recommend new programs and/or changes in strategy.
- Assist in determining the need for the construction of new parking assets or improvement of existing parking assets.
- In the event of a new parking improvement and/or facility is needed, provide a letter to confirm the recommendation of the Alternative Transportation Committee
Composition, Membership, and Meetings:
Membership for faculty and staff shall be for a period of two (2) years, staggered to ensure continuity. Students shall be appointed annually. Recommendations for membership from campus constituencies should consider the backgrounds of the persons selected to ensure that students with disabilities and students from disadvantage communities are represented.
The membership of the Alternative Transportation Committee will consist of:
Two (2) students
Two (2) faculty
Two (2) staff representatives
Transportation Manager/Coordinator; Chairperson; Ex Officio; indefinite term.
Parking Director; Ex Officio; indefinite term.
Sustainability Coordinator; Ex Officio; indefinite term.
One (1) representative from the Chancellor's Office, designated by the Chancellor's Office, non-voting member; indefinite term.
<optional>Local transportation agency representatives; Ex Officio, non-voting member; indefinite term.
Two (2) students:
Two (2) faculty:
David Blekhman, Faculty, Department of Technology, Cal State LA
Andy Cornwell, Faculty, School of Kinesiology and Nutritional Science, Cal State LA
Ahmed Badr (alternate) Lecturer/Clinical Exercise Physiologist, School of Kinesiology and Nutritional Science, Cal State LA
Two (2) staff representatives:
Emily Acevedo, Interim Associate Provost and Director of Academic and Facilities Planning • Planning and Budget, Cal State LA
Dianne Taylor, Buyer III • Procurement and Contracts, Cal State LA
Gonzalo Centeno (alternate), Director • Disabilities, Office for Students with Disabilities, Cal State LA
Transportation Manager/Coordinator: Chairperson; Ex Officio; indefinite term:
Betina Cervantes, Commuter Services Coordinator, Cal State LA
Parking Director; Ex Officio; indefinite term:
Carmen Gachupin, Director of Parking and Transportation, Cal State LA
Sustainability Coordinator; Ex Officio; indefinite term:
Barbara Queen, Associate Vice President, Facilities Planning and Construction, Cal State LA
Doug Frame (alternate) BSE Shop Supervisor, Facilities Services-Administrative Office, Cal State LA
One (1) representative from the Chancellor's Office, designated by the Chancellor's Office, non-voting member; indefinite term:
Hank Kaplan, Transportation Analyst, CSU Chancellor's Office.
Other Members (non-voting)
Luis Zarza, Metrolink Station Maintenance Administrator
Dave Flores – Transportation Programs Consultant, Cal State LA
Agendas and Meeting Documents
All committee meetings will be held once a semester. Minutes are reviewed and approved by committee members.
For more information contact Transportation Services via email or call (323) 343-5277.
Cal State LA has been recognized as one of the Best Workplaces for Commuters