Research and Facilities
Cal State LA's Chemistry and Biochemistry Department offers many research opportunities. Students engage in collaborative research with faculty and produce written research reports, with the option to present the results of their research at professional conferences. Student research has led to the publication of over 50 manuscripts with student co-authors in scientific journals.
Student research is widely supported by our diverse faculty and through robust research training. The buildings James M. Rosser Hall, Biological Sciences, and La Kretz Hall all house teaching and research labs that are part of the Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry. Five technical staff members assist the department's teaching and research programs. Learn more about our facilities, equipment, and research centers:
Department Instrumentation and Facilities
Department instrumentation and facilities include:
- Three NMR spectrometers ranging in field strength from 400 MHz to 600 MHz, all equipped with DRX and AVANCE consoles. A variety of nuclei may be observed: 1H, 13C, 31P, and 19F. Variable temperature control is available, over the range of -50 to 80 degrees.
- Several LC- and GC-Mass Spectrometers
- A MALDI-TOF MS, inductively coupled plasma mass spectrometer
- Atomic force microscope
- FT Raman
- EPR and AA and flourescence spectrometers
- UV-vis spectrophometers
- FTIR Spectrometers
- Circular Dichroism Spectrometers
- Time-resolved near-infrared spectrometer lasers
- Microscopy and microarray instruments
- Real-Time PCR machines
- Computer stations with Gaussian and other computational software
- Electrophoresis equipment
- Glove boxes
Additional facilities include:
- Plant growth rooms
- Cold rooms
- Warm room
These facilities and instrumentation are available for hands-on use for research students and in students in upper-division coursework.
Research Centers and Student Training Programs
The Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry faculty members have successfully obtained grants from a variety of agencies to help train students for careers in the chemical and biochemical sciences by providing financial support and access to research materials. Each program has different eligibility critera and levels of support. Their websites are available by clicking the listed links below:
Work Request Forms
To facilitate your research, the following forms must be filled out prior to any work being performed by our technicians:
Electronic Technician Form (NMR Form)
To ensure accuracy in equipment request, please be as specific as you can when filing these forms. If you have any questions, check with the respective technician.
All forms are in PDF and must be printed and then filled out by hand. If you wish to download the form, on a PC, right-click and select the location to save the form. On a Mac, simultaneously click on Option and the form link, and the PDF will be downloaded to where your browser saves files.