Workers' Compensation FAQs

If you are injured or become ill because of your job, you may be entitled to Workers' Compensation Benefits. The workers' compensation program at California State University, Los Angeles will pay the cost of all (reasonable) medical and hospital bills. If you cannot work because of a job-related injury or illness, you may be eligible for payment of lost wages by means of Temporary Disability payments.

An employee may be eligible to receive Industrial Disability Leave (IDL) benefit payments in lieu of Temporary Disability, if desired. You must be a member of the Public Employees' Retirement System in order to be eligible for IDL.

California State University, Los Angeles' employees (faculty, staff, student assistants, work-study students and appointed volunteers) are covered by workers' compensation.

Sedgwick administers California State University, Los Angeles' workers' compensation program. Sedgwick is a nationwide claims administrator with headquarters in Rancho Cordova. Sedgwick determines whether you are eligible to receive workers' compensation benefits for your injury or illness. Sedgwick pays all your approved medical bills. Sedgwick works with your medical care provider to ensure that you receive proper and timely medical care.

You have the right to choose a personal physician to treat you if you are injured on the job. You must complete the Designation of Physician Form and return to the workers' compensation coordinator before the date of injury. The doctor must meet the following requirements:

The doctor must possess your medical records and your medical history.

Report your injury to your supervisor as soon as you can.

By reporting your injury timely, you may prevent problems or delays in receiving benefits, including medical treatment you may need to avoid further injury.

Employers' Report of Injury or illness form must be completed by the employee and sent to the Workers' Compensation Office, Administration 606.

Employees' Claim for Workers' Compensation Benefits must be given to the employee within one working day of receiving notice or knowledge of injury resulting in lost time (beyond date of injury) or requiring medical treatment beyond first aid. The employee completes items 1-8 and the workers' compensation coordinator completes the Employer section. This form should be mailed immediately to the Workers' Compensation Office for completion.

Concentra, Commerce Facility has physicians on duty 24 hours a day, 7 days a week for immediate care of on-the-job-injuries and illness. If prior to the injury/illness you have given Human Resources Management written notice of the name of your personal physician, who maintains your records of prior care, then you may go to this physician treatment immediately after injury/illness.

If you have any questions concerning workers' compensation benefits, forms or general information, please contact the workers' compensation coordinator, Adriana Machuca Parra at (323) 343-3657 or [email protected].