Visit Health Watch for COVID-19 updates. Find Employee Return to Campus and Student Return to Campus information.
Emergency Notification

Records & Enrollment

The University Records Office provides academic support services to students, faculty, administrators, staff and alumni by accurately maintaining all data related to the production of individual academic histories, often called transcripts, at Cal State LA. Here's some of what we do:

  • grade processing & changes upon faculty request
  • certification of enrollment
  • verification of degrees
  • transcript requests
  • credit by exam requests
  • grant student requests for leaves of absence
  • grade forgiveness
  • disqualification & disenrollments

Spring 2020 Grading

Information regarding grading options for Spring 2020 can be found at the Spring 2020 Grading FAQs .

Registration & Enrollment

Please visit the GET page for more information.

Dates & Deadlines

Please visit the University Scheduling Office for term Dates and Deadlines.

Get help with:

Transcript Request

How to Order an Official Transcript

You have three options for ordering your official transcript of course work taken at California State University, Los Angeles, including Open University, Extension and Summer Sessions.

Online. Students may order secure PDF and hard copy transcripts online. This service is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. There is an additional $2.60 processing fee for each transcript.

Order CalStateLA Transcript On-line

In-Person –  Download and submit the Transcript Order Forms in person. The form is available online or in the Records Office, SSB 1st Floor (Admissions and Records Center).  Payment can be made by check or in the Cashiers Office, SSB 2nd floor.

Mail - Students unable to obtain a transcript in person may order via written letter or the downloadable Transcript Request Form at the bottom of this page. A letter must include the:

  1. full name of the student used while in attendance at Cal State LA
  2. Student Identification Number
  3. student's birth date
  4. dates of attendance
  5. return address
  6. address to send transcript(s)
  7. any special conditions required prior to having the transcript sent (e.g.: inclusion of current term in progress grades or verification of a degree just awarded, etc.).

The completed Transcript Request form or letter, which must be signed by the student, must be mailed with the appropriate fee to:

Cashier's Office
Cal State LA
5151 State University Drive
Los Angeles, CA 90032.

Cost of transcripts

  • $4.00 Single (first) transcript
  • $2.00 per additional, 2-10x copies
  • $1.00 each copy beyond 10x

Please make checks payable to California State University, Los Angeles. For online orders, there is a $2.60 service fee for each transcript.
Please do not enclose cash.


Additional Transcript Information

Most official transcripts are distributed within the week after receipt of the request. However, requests that specify inclusion of grades just earned or verification of a degree just awarded cannot be filled until two to three weeks after the end of the term. Students may provide a pre-paid Express Mail envelope with the request to expedite the mailing process.

All official transcripts are mailed to the address designated on the Transcript Request form or letter. All transcripts received by students are marked "Issued to Student" and may not be considered official by other educational institutions. In addition, employers and other businesses may not consider these transcripts official if the seal on the mailing envelope is broken. Students must specify in their request form or letter if they desire transcripts to be sent in separate sealed envelopes.

Notary Services

The Office of the University Registrar provides notary services to Cal State LA students and alumni for official documents produced by the Office of the University Registrar. Walk-in signature services are not available. Please allow up to ten business days for the completion of the notarization.

Typical official documents that can be notarized* are:
  • Official Transcripts
  • Enrollment Verifications
  • Degree Verifications

*Students must show evidence that a notarized verification form is required.

Note: it is not possible to notarize a diploma. Foreign agencies may request an “apostille” or certification of an official document (e.g. CSU diploma). The California Secretary of State provides State Notary Public & Apostille services for official documents issued by the State of California. For more information regarding Notary Public & Apostille services, please see the California Secretary of State Authentications website or contact the California Secretary of State Office at 916-653–3595.

PIN Numbers

A PIN (Personal Identification Number) is randomly assigned to every student at CalState LA and is used to access GET through the MyCalStateLA Portal. For security reasons, a student PIN should never be kept with the student Campus Identification Number (CIN). 

Students & alumni that forget or lose their PIN can contact the GET Helpline at (323) 343-7438 for assistance. Keep in mind that PIN numbers will not be released over the telephone.

Auditing a Class

Class instructors can approve enrolling as an auditor only after for-credit students have had a chance to register. Students registered for other classes may audit classes only by special arrangement with the class instructor. Regular add procedures do not apply. Students must submit an instructor-approved program change form at Administration 409. Audited courses are not recorded on the student's transcript.

Add / Drop / Withdraw

Add / Drop

Students use the GET Student Center to add and drop courses from their initial registration appointment time until the eleventh business day of the semester. The add/drop deadline varies for intersessions, summer term, and other special sessions. Please refer to the Scheduling Office for specific deadline dates.

Classes dropped during this period will not appear on the student’s transcript.

Late Add

Students use the Late Add Request form to add a class after the add deadline and before the fifteenth business day of the semester (census). The census date varies for intersessions, summer term, and other special sessions. Please refer to the Scheduling Office for specific census dates.

A Late Add request requires payment of a $25 late submission fee and signatures from both the class instructor and the chair of the department offering the class.

Students use the Petition to Add Class after Census, available on the Registrar Forms page, only in cases of a documented technical error on the part of the University.


Students use the Withdrawal Petition to drop classes between the add/drop deadline and the 80% point within the term. Please refer to the class schedule for these specific dates as they may vary. A withdrawal is included on the student’s transcript with a W grade. Undergraduate students are limited to 18 semester units of withdrawals for their entire undergraduate career.

Late Withdrawal

Students use the Withdrawal Petition and Addendum to drop classes during the last 20% of a term. Please refer to the class schedule for these specific dates as they may vary. A late withdrawal is included on the student’s transcript with a “W” grade. Undergraduate students are limited to 18 semester units of withdrawals for their entire undergraduate career.

Students are not permitted to withdraw after the end of a term.


Changes to enrollment (add, drop, and withdrawal) occurring after the start of the term are assessed a pro-rata charge (reduced refund). The Disbursement Office website offers information regarding refunds.

Reporting an Enrollment Discrepancy

All students can view their official enrollment in GET. Students are responsible for bringing any enrollment discrepancies to the attention of the Records Office (located in Administration 409). If a student is enrolled in a course section that he/she thought they had dropped or don't remember registering in, that student must obtain a drop request form with the signed approval of the instructor, department chair, and possibly the school dean(s) in order to have the course officially dropped from their record. The student is the only individual responsible for the enrollment record, and shouldn't assume that they will be dropped for non-attendance.

Enrollment Waitlist

Cal State L.A. uses waitlists in the enrollment process to help students register for the classes they need.  Detailed information about waitlists is on the GET page.

CSU Fully Online Courses

CSU Fully Online Courses
The CSU Fully Online Courses program (formely known as "CourseMatch") provides an opportunity for eligible fully matriculated CSU students to enroll in one fully-online course per term offered by another CSU campus. The program is aimed to facilitate access to high-demand, high success courses as part of the continuing effort of providing students with access to the courses needed to expedite graduation. If you are ready to enroll in a CSU Fully Online Course, please visit your MyCalStateLA portal and select the "Enroll in CSU Fully Online" link. Please note that CSU Fully Online Enrollment is typically available two weeks prior to the start of the term.

Students from other institutions taking a Fully Online course offered through CalState LA may find additional information on our CSU Fully Online Courses Welcome page.

Enrollment Verification

The National Student Clearinghouse is the authorized agent for California State University, Los Angeles, for providing enrollment and degree verifications to third parties. Current students may use the self-service application available through the MyCalStateLA portal to print their own enrollment history, verifications, check loan deferments sent to your lenders, and link to real-time information on student loans.

For assistance with Student Self-Service, contact the Clearinghouse at [email protected] or call (703) 742-4200.

Notification of Student’s Rights under the Family Education Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA)

California State University, Los Angeles abides by the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974 (FERPA), and in so doing, provides students a number of rights with respect to their education records.

Among these rights are: the right to inspect and review personal education records, the right to request the amendment of education records in the case of inaccurate or misleading information, the right to consent to disclosures of personally identifiable information contained in these records, and the right to file a complaint with the U.S. Department of Education concerning alleged failures by the University to comply with the requirements of FERPA.

Copies of the campus policy, Administrative Procedure for Student Records Administration, can be found in the Records Office, ADM 409, and in the University Catalog.

View/Download Forms

Academic Status issues:

Academic Status

Complete information about student academic status can be found in the University Catalog.

Undergraduate Class Levels Undergraduate students are classified according to the number of semester units of baccalaureate-level course work they have completed, calculated as follows:

Class Level Semester Units Completed
Lower Division
Freshman 0-29
Sophomore 30-59
Upper Division
Junior 60-89
Senior 90+


Academic Study Loads


Undergraduate Students
The recommended normal full-time undergraduate study load is 15 semester units. Students earning a C average or better may register for 18 semester units with department/division/school approval. Authorization for more than 18 units requires prior approval of an advisor and the department/division chair or school director. Students on scholastic probation must limit their study loads to 12 semester units or fewer. A student on probation may petition the University for a greater study load with the approval of an academic advisor and department/division chair or school director.

Graduate Students
For full-time enrollment certification by the University graduate students must carry a unit load of 8 units of approved prerequisite, corequisite, or graduate program courses. Upon recommendation of a student's major department/division/school and approval by the appropriate college dean, a student enrolled in any of the following department/division/school courses may be certified as full-time with fewer than 8 units: 5960, 5970, 5990, 5995, 6990. The maximum unit load for students working towards a graduate degree is 16 units per semester. Authorization to enroll in more than 16 units requires a petition approved by the student's major department/division chair or school director and the appropriate college dean.

(See the Faculty Handbook for more info)

Academic Renewal

Removal of Work from Bachelor's Degree Consideration

Under certain circumstances, up to two semesters or three quarters of previous undergraduate course work taken at any college may be disregarded from all consideration associated with requirements for the baccalaureate. Neither subject nor unit credit for work taken during the disregarded term(s), even if satisfactory, may apply toward baccalaureate requirements. Detailed information appears below:


  • 5 years must have elapsed since completion of the most recent work to be disregarded;
  • Any previous removal of work from degree consideration must be included in applying the limits on work that may be disregarded;
  • Since completion of the work to be disregarded, students must have maintained at least the following grade point average (GPA) at Cal State L. A. at the time of petition:
    Units Completed GPA
    14-29 3.0
    30-44 2.5
    45+ 2.0
  • Students must provide evidence that units in additional term(s) would be required to graduate without approval of their request.

A Student may file an academic renewal petition with a GPA lower than C (2.0) either in general education (GE), the major or overall college units attempted (a condition that is preventing them from qualifying for the degree) and meet all above criteria and conditions.

Repeating Courses

Please refer to the Faculty Handbook for the latest information on repeating courses.


Per Executive Order 1037, undergraduate students may withdraw from no more than 18 semester units. For withdrawals made prior to Fall 2016, the units will be converted and displayed as their semester equivalents.

Grading System and Grade Point Average (GPA)

Grade point Requirements

Undergraduate students must maintain a C (2.0) average in all courses attempted at Cal State LA and any other college or university attended and to make satisfactory progress toward their academic objectives. Students who receive financial aid should consult Student Financial Aid about additional criteria that may define satisfactory progress.

Grade Point Average (GPA)

The GPA is computed by dividing the total number of grade points earned by the total number of units attempted. Grade points are assigned for each unit of course work undertaken.  CR and NC grades are not included in grade point average computations.

    Adds to Quality Hours Quality points earned Adds to Earned Hours Effective Date
A Superior Yes 4 Yes  
A- Outstanding Yes 3.7 Yes  
B+ Very Good Yes 3.3 Yes  
B Good Yes 3 Yes  
B- Better than Average Yes 2.7 Yes  
C+ Above Average Yes 2.3 Yes  
C Average Yes 2 Yes  
C- Below Average Yes 1.7 Yes  
D+ Weak Yes 1.3 Yes  
D Poor Yes 1 Yes  
D- Barely Passing Yes 0.7 Yes  
F Non-Attainment Yes 0 No  
U Unauthorized Incomplete Yes 0 No Sum 1967 ‑ Sum 2002
WU Withdrawal Incomplete Yes 0 No Fall 2002
IN Incomplete No 0 No Sum 1967 - Sum 2002
I Incomplete Authorized No 0 No Fall 2002
I Expired Incomplete Yes 0 No Sum 1967 - Sum 2002
IC Incomplete Charged Yes 0 No Fall 2002
SP Satisfactory Progress No 0 No Sum 1967 - Sum 2002
RP Report in Progress No 0 No Fall 2002
W Withdrawn No 0 No  
CR Credit No 0 Yes  
NC No Credit No 0 No  
RD Report Delayed No 0 No  


  • Earned Hours: Hours which earn credit, but may or may not carry grade point value
  • Attempted Hours: Hours attempted which carry grade point value
  • Points awarded per course are multiplied by the point value of the grade.
  • GPA (Grade Point Average) is determined by dividing attempted by points.
  • Repeat: Repetition of prior course with lower grade removal from GPA calculation.


Scholastic Status - Probation & Special Probation

Note: be sure to check the Faculty Handbook for up-to-date and more in-depth information on the policies outlined below. In the event of descrepancies, policies in the Faculty Handbook supercede those described below.

Probation for Undergraduate Students

Students are placed on academic probation if either their grade point average at Cal State LA or their cumulative grade point average in all college work attempted falls below a C (2.0). They are continued on probation for grade point deficiency until their entire deficiency is removed or until they are disqualified in accordance with the regulations stated below. 

Special Probation

Continuing students who are disqualified may petition to remain as matriculated students on special probation. To be eligible for special probation, disqualified students must complete the disqualification interview with their academic advisor and obtain the advisor's approval. The advisor must specify on the special probation petition the terms and conditions under which the student will be eligible to be returned to and to remain in matriculated status, such as courses to be repeated, courses to be completed, GPA requirements, and any required workshops and/or tutoring.

All disqualifed students who are reinstated or readmitted are placed on special probation because their GPA is below the value needed for the class level. These students must earn better than a C (2.0) GPA each term until the GPA is at least the minimum for the class level. Students will be disqualified when they completely withdraw while on special probation.

Repeating Courses

Please refer to the Faculty Handbook for the latest information on repeating courses.

Disqualification and Reinstatement

Note: be sure to check the Faculty Handbook for up-to-date and more in-depth information on the policies outlined below. In the event of descrepancies, policies in the Faculty Handbook supercede those described below.

Undergraduate Student Disqualification

Students already on probation whose Cal State L.A. or cumulative grade point average drops below the following levels are disqualified:

Class Level Units Completed GPA
Freshmen 0-29 1.50
Sophomores 30-59 1.70
Juniors 60-89 1.85
Seniors 90+ 1.95

Disqualified students are required to arrange a disqualification interview with their academic advisor to review the reasons for disqualification, to explore the option of requesting special probation or readmission, and to establish the terms and conditions for recommending special probation or readmission. Undeclared majors will hold this interview with their advisor in the University Academic Advisement Center.


Students who are denied/ineligible for special probation may petition for readmission. Readmission after disqualification is not automatic. Students must wait at least one term before applying for readmission. For readmission, students must satisfy the terms and conditions from the disqualification interview as documented in the student's file by the academic advisor. Students must also have a cumulative grade point average (GPA) that is at or above the minimum for their class level when they apply. (see above table for GPA requirements)

For greater detail on the reinstatement (readmission) process, please refer to the Faculty Handbook.

Disqualified students must file their application for readmission before the appropriate admissions deadline.

Students enrolled but not officially reinstated for the term after disqualification should file a request for complete withdrawal and full refund of fees prior to the start of the term. Registration will be cancelled for disqualified students who are enrolled and do not file a withdrawal request. Fees are not returned in these cases.

Academic Dishonesty

For detailed information about Academic Dishonesty, please refer to Appendix D of the University Catalog.

Credit by Examination

Students in good standing and officially enrolled in one or more residence courses may challenge courses by taking examinations developed at the campus.

Students may obtain credit by examination in undergraduate and graduate courses listed in the General Catalog. Approval of the Instructor and Department Chair is required. These units do not count towards residency credit, nor do they count as part of a student's academic workload. Grades received by examination are recorded as final grades on the permanent academic record and are designated as earned through credit by examination.

Leave of Absence

Undergraduate students may request a leave for no fewer than 2 and no more than 4 semesters. Graduate students are granted a leave for a maximum of 2 semesters, subject to renewal. Continuing students' allowed absence of 1 semester is included in these maxima. Summer and winter terms are not included in these totals.

Reporting Grade Discrepancies

Grades are submitted to the Records Office three working days after the end of final examination week. To reconcile a suspected error, students should submit a discrepancy report form available at the Records Office, located in Administration 409 by the following term. Any student who wishes to contest an assigned grade should refer to the "Student Conduct: Rights and Responsibilities" section in the General University Catalog.

We strongly recommend you browse, at minimum, the Procedures and Regulations section of the University Catalog, which has the latest (and often more detailed) information on many of the topics we cover here.

Due to the Coronavirus (COVID-19) situation our office is not on campus to handle requests. Given this, email is the most efficient way to communicate with our office.

Hours      M‑F: 8am‑5pm 
                Sa-Su: Closed

Location  Administration Bldg. Room 409
Phone     (323) 343-3873
Email       Email the Records Office
University Closed:
3/31 Cesar Chavez Day
5/31 Memorial Day
7/4 Independence Day

Request Advising Appointment