Welcome to Cal State LA
Now that you are enrolled in a CSU Fully Online Course – Cross-Campus Enrollment – at Cal State LA we'd like to give you some guidance, advice, and resources to help you successfully complete your online course.
You are now a student at Cal State LA! With your Campus Identification Number (CIN), username, and password, you have access to a wealth of online resources. Access these resources through the MyCalStateLA portal at Cal State LA. From the portal, you can access your webmail, LinkedIn Learning and much more.
The following resources may also be helpful:
- Course Catalog (reference many Student and Academic Policies)
- Campus Directory of Faculty and Staff
- Student Resources
The academic calendar at Cal State LA may be different than your home campus.
Here are some key dates to remember:
Spring 2024 Dates and Deadlines
|Jan 18 (Th)
|Semester begins; first day of instruction
|Feb 5 (M)
|No Record drop deadline (last day to drop and not receive a grade)
|Apr 1 (M) – Apr 7 (Su)
|Apr 1 (M)
|Cesar Chavez Day (University Closed)
|May 11 (Sa)
|Last day of instruction
|May 13 (M) - May 18 (Sa)
|May 24 (F)
|Grades available on GET
|May 25 (Sa)
You are taking an online class at Cal State LA and there may be a number of differences in how our online course is delivered as compared to your campus.
- Our courses use a learning management systems (LMS) called Canvas, which you can see in the MyCalStateLA portal. For more information:
- You can access Canvas through the MyCalStateLA portal. You can find a link to your course materials in Canvas through the QuickLaunch icon. If you should experience problems with accessing the portal, email the ITS Helpdesk or call (323) 343- 6170.
- The syllabus for your CSU Fully Online Course, available in Canvas, will have the information you need to successfully complete the course requirements.
- You have access to all our library resources and you can explore our online library services.
- The Cal State LA Bookstore can provide you the course materials you need for your CSU Fully Online Course.
- The CSU also provides you a free online library on supplemental learning resources. You are welcome to explore and use these free resources to help you learn.
- If you need to ask questions about using our technologies, you can email the ITS Helpdesk or call (323) 343- 6170. Phone support is available 24x7 except during breaks and University holidays. Additional ITS Help Desk information can be found on the Helpdesk Student Resources page.
- The CSU is committed to providing an electronic environment that is accessible to everyone, including individuals with disabilities. If you encounter any accessibility problems and need assistance, please email the Office of Students with Disabilities (OSD), call (323) 343-3140, or visit the OSD website.
- If you need a tutor or information to help improve your study skills for your Fully Online course, Cal State LA offers the University Tutorial Center. To learn more go to the Tutorial Wing of the Center for Academic Success.
Online learning is different than learning in the classroom. You want to make sure you're ready to succeed in your online class and there are a few steps you can take to help you complete the CSU Fully Online Course successfully. If this is your first time taking a fully online course, we recommend you:
- Complete an "Are you ready for online learning" checklist. One of our sister CSU campuses offers a checklist that is free and easy to complete. You should feel confident that you have the skills, learning styles, technologies, and time to be successful in an online course. Theis checklist can help you make sure you're prepared to succeed.
- Spend time (hours vs. minutes) exploring the student portal, the campus' technology platform for your CSU Fully Online Course, reviewing the syllabus, and making sure you are familiar and comfortable with the online services at Cal State LA. You want to be prepared before the course work starts to pile up.
- Online courses frequently require additional time for preparation and participation, make sure to schedule an appropriate amount of time to do the work for your CSU Fully Online Course. Don't let "I'll do it later" lead to poor grades which ultimately wastes your time and money in school.