Note-taking services allow Cal State LA students to volunteer to take notes for a classmate who is registered with the Office for Students with Disabilities (OSD).
The notes assist OSD-registered students in analyzing and organizing information presented during the lecture, and help place them on a level playing field to their non-disabled peers.
Note-taking During Virtual Instruction
Eligible: Courses with live or recorded lecture content
- Online classes where the instructor is providing Zoom through CANVAS (or other live or recorded lecture content) are eligible for note-taking services. We encourage notetakers to sign up and register their class schedules as soon as possible. In the event your services are needed, we will email you.
Not Eligible: Online Courses with Handouts (online notes, outlines, and PowerPoint Slides)
- If your instructor is only posting online lecture handouts such as notes and PowerPoint slides, (meaning, there is no live or recorded lecture), then the class is not eligible for note-taking services. OSD students are expected to access and review this material on their own, as notetakers are not required to provide notes.
If you have any questions or concerns regarding the eligibility of your class(es), feel free to email OSD Note-taking Services directly.
Sign Up to Be a Note-Taker
To sign up to become an OSD note-taker, or for additional information, email OSD Note-taking Services or visit our CANVAS page by:
1. Login to Canvas through your MyCalStateLA portal.
2. Click on “Courses” towards the far left-hand side of the page, the click “All Courses” in the pop-up.
3. Next click on “Browse More Courses” to the far right-hand side of the page.
4. In the “Name” search bar type “OSD”, then click “Search”.
5. You will see “OSD Note-taking Services: Notetaker Information & Resources”, click “Join This Course”, then click “Enroll in Course”, and lastly click “Go to the Course.”
Notes will be uploaded to the OSD online system for easy retrieval. Once a notetaker uploads a file to the online system, the online system will notify all eligible OSD students that notes are available for download.
For additional questions regarding note-taking services, please contact OSD.
Students Receiving Note-Taking Services
OSD students are encouraged to advocate for their note-taking services in a timely manner. Each semester, students eligible for a note-taking accommodation should:
- Request their note-taking accommodation using the OSD Online Services (AIM).
- Students must log into OSD Online Services and “confirm” their note-taking request immediately after attending the first class lecture to verify that they do in fact require a notetaker for the class.
- After the first week of classes, if you find that you no longer need note-taking services (i.e. your instructor has posted all necessary materials in Moodle or Canvas), please log into OSD Online Services to “cancel” the request.
If the OSD student cannot access this content on their own for any reason, we highly encourage that the OSD student follows up with their OSD counselor, or OSD Note-taking Services as soon as conveniently possible.
*Please note that our office strives to provide note-taking services of the utmost quality. Understand that we are utilizing your Cal State LA peers to meet the goals of this service as set forth by the ADA. These peers are volunteering their time, therefore, personal preferences of individual notes may not be feasible. However, we will exhaust all efforts to meet reasonable accommodation requests.