Frequently Asked Questions

Q. What do gerontologists do?

A. Gerontologists can work in a variety of areas:

  • Direct Service, such as conducting outreach and evaluating services necessary.
  • Education and Training, such as intergenerational programs and education for older clients.
  • Program Planning and Evaluation, such as identifying community needs, developing staffing and coordinating with community agencies.
  • Administration and Policy, such as increasing public awareness of needs and services and analyzing program and policy outcomes.
  • Research, such as evaluating program interventions, predicting trends and collecting demographics.

Q. What type of jobs can you get with a Gerontology Certificate?

A. Graduates from the Gerontology certificate program can expect to find career placements in county councils on aging, area agencies on aging, social service agencies, housing authorities, long-term care, recreation facilities and many other public and private groups. Job titles in this field include:

  • With Completion of A.A. Degree/Certificate:

    • Home Care Companion
    • Activity Director
    • RCFE Administrator
    • Adult Educator
    • Transportation Coordinator
    • Meal Coordinator
    • Admission Coordinator
    • Marketing Coordinator
  • With Completion of a B.A. or M.A. plus Gerontology Certificate:

    • Department of Human Services Worker
    • Senior Center Director
    • Administrator for Assisted Living
    • Administrator for Independent Living
    • Marketing Director
    • Care Manager

Q. What types of students enroll in the Certificate program?

A. Students from diverse ethnic, educational and career backgrounds enroll in the
     certificate. Some students are just starting their educational program and are
     at the beginning of their career search. Others already have degrees and/or
     jobs and are completing the certificate to improve their knowledge base and
     advance in their careers. Another student group has a personal interest in
     gerontology and wants more information to cope with the challenges of an
     aging loved one or to understand their own aging.

Q. What are the required courses?


     BIOL 3084 Biology of Human Aging (3)

     SOC 4500 Sociology of Aging (3)

     SW 3650  Social Policy and Aging (3)

     PSY 3620 Psychological and Psychosocial Developmental: Stages in Maturity and Aging (3)


     HHS 4950  Field Work in Health and Human Services


     ANTH    3350    Maturity and Aging in Cross-Cultural Perspectives (3)

     COMD    3900    Communication Disorders in Aging (3)

     ENGL    3840    Aging in Literature (3)

     KIN    3450    Physiological Effects of Exercise during Aging (3)

     KIN    4380    Principles of Exercise for Older Adults (3)

     NTRS    3510    Adult Nutrition (3)

     NTRS    4510    Nutrition and Aging (3)

     NURS    3820    Palliative Care (3)

     NURS    3850    Spiritual Assessment & Care of Older Adult (3)

     NURS    4690    Gerontology and the Law (3)

     PHIL    3730    Adult Life and Aging (3)

     RELS    3250    Themes of Adult Life in the World’s Religions (3)

     SOC    4520    Life Span Transitions: The Retirement Years (3)

     SOC    4530    Social Aspects of Death and Bereavement (3)

     SW    3712    Human Behavior and the Social Environment: Late Adolescence Through Old Age (3)

     SW    3762    Cross Cultural Practice with Older Adults (3)

Q. How many hours do I need in total for my field placement?

A. You need a total of 90 hours in HHS 4950 working directly with the elderly.

Q. Do I have to do the internship hours all in one semester?

A. Yes

Q. Why do I need to register for HHS 4950?

A. HHS 4950 is a requirement for the Certificate Program. It's a Credit/No Credit course and it has specific requirements outlined in the HHS 4950 syllabus. You will need 3 units of HHS 4950 in order to obtain a Certificate. You must register for it in order to have it appear on your transcript.