Transfer Students

Articulation is the process where faculty reviews similar courses from other institutions to determine if the course content is sufficiently comparable to warrant formally accepting one for the other.

The ASSIST program is designed to help students and advisors work together to find the right path to transfer from the public California Community College (CCC) to California State University (CSU) and the University of California (UC). ASSIST is designed to clarify how California transfer students can use the courses they take at community colleges to meet electives, general education requirements, and core requirements on CSU or UC campuses.

Additional information about ASSIST Program is included in our ASSIST Program Flyer.


Getting started with the Assist website

Getting started with the Assist website

Articulated/Transferable Courses

There is an important difference between a transferable course and an articulated course but the terms are sometimes used as if they are interchangeable:

  • An articulated course is a course taken at one college or university that can be used to satisfy subject matter requirements (major or general education) at another institution. Except for a handful of exceptions, all articulated courses must first be transferable. 
  • If you do not see your courses listed on, Please submit an Articulation Request Form to the Articulation Officer. 

  Articulation Request Form                               

A transferable course is a course taken at one college or university that can be used for unit credit at another institution. This does not indicate how the course can be used to fulfill a subject matter requirement at a university campus.  Not all transferable courses are articulated.

Cal State LA Transfer Equivalencies are not displayed in ASSIST.  Visit to view articulation agreements between Cal State LA and California State Universities, Out of State Colleges, and International Institutions.