Academic Petitions

Academic petitions exist for students to request an exception to certain University academic regulations when extenuating circumstances exist. Please consult with an advisor in your major department/division to determine if you have a petitionable request.  

All petitions must be filed in your major department/division office. Undergraduate students with Undeclared majors should file petitions in the Academic Advisement Center.

You will be notified electronically of the decision on your petition.

Academic Petition for Undergraduate Requirements 

Academic Renewal process allows the students to file a petition if their grade point average is lower than C (2.0) either in general education, the major, or overall college units attempted. Before filing a petition, the students must ensure that the following grade criteria are maintained:

  • 3.0 for students with 22-44 quarter units completed
  • 2.5 with 45-66 units completed
  • 2.0 with 67 or more units completed

Students can file this petition up to two semesters or three-quarters of previous undergraduate course work taken at any college and appeal to disregard the term from all considerations associated with requirements for the baccalaureate. 

Academic Petition for Undergraduate Requirements

STUDENTS: Please make an appointment to meet with an advisor for the major that you seek readmission. It must be initiated and completed by your academic advisor.

ADVISORS: After meeting with an undergraduate student who is interested in returning to Cal State LA after academic disqualification, please complete and submit the following documents to the Office of Admissions and Recruitment:

  1. Online Readmission Petition (with required signatures)
  2. Student's written statement that explains (1) why they are now ready to return to the University, and (2) what they will do to ensure good academic progress toward the degree
  3. If 2nd or subsequent request for readmission on special probation (e.g. has prior returns from disqualification), Dean’s letter of support. This also needs to be attached to the packet during the online submission process

Readmission Petition for Undergraduates documents may be submitted online. Once the packet is signed by all parties, a copy of the completed form and attachments will automatically be emailed to the Admissions Office, the student, the advisor, the department chair, and if applicable, the College Dean.