Criteria for Evaluating GE Course Proposals
Block D Social Sciences
In general, course proposals for courses submitted as satisfying specific general education requirements must provide:
- Clear evidence that student learning outcomes specific to the block or GE requirement are being taught and assessed
- Course content in outline that demonstrates adequate time devoted to teaching and assessing the outcomes
- Evidence of specific training, currency and/or experience in the basic intellectual and pedagogic competencies in the specific block or designated area
Course Prefix and Number Course Title
□ New Course □ Existing Course ______________________
Existing Course Prefix and Number
GE Governing Principles
Proposal clearly demonstrates that the course
- Requires the practice and evaluation of writing in English, including, where appropriate, library assignments
- Provides ample opportunity for students to be active learners in their educational experience
- Does not require a non-General Education prerequisite
If the response to any of the GE governing principles above is No, the course will be returned unapproved.
Block or GE Requirement Student Learning Outcomes
Proposal clearly demonstrates that student learning outcomes are being taught and assessed sufficiently
- Demonstrate understanding of problems and issues using the principles, methodologies, value systems and ethics employed in social scientific inquiry.
- Use inquiry processes, such as quantitative reasoning, qualitative reasoning, critical thinking, or creative thinking, to engage with contemporary and enduring questions or to engage in complex decision making and problem solving.
- Demonstrate understanding of contemporary or historical events within political, social, cultural, or economic contexts with an emphasis on how these contexts are interwoven.
- Demonstrate understanding of the diversity of cultures and communities in the United States or abroad.
- Demonstrate understanding of the interconnectedness of individuals, communities, society, and/or the environment.
Implementation and Assessment
Proposal or supplemental materials provide evidence of
- Specific training, currency and/or experience in the basic intellectual and pedagogic competencies in the specific block or designated area