Criteria for Evaluating Block B4 Mathematics/Quantitative Reasoning GE Course Proposals
In general, course proposals for courses submitted as satisfying specific general education requirements must provide:
- Clear evidence that student learning outcomes specific to the block or GE requirement are being taught and assessed
- Course content in outline that demonstrates adequate time devoted to teaching and assessing the outcomes
- Evidence of specific training, currency and/or experience in the basic intellectual and pedagogic competencies in the specific block or designated area
GE Governing Principles
Proposal clearly demonstrates that the course
- Requires the practice and evaluation of writing in English, including, where appropriate, library assignments
- Provides ample opportunity for students to be active learners in their educational experience
- Does not require a non-General Education prerequisite
If the response to any of the GE governing principles above is No, the course will be returned unapproved.
Block or GE Requirement Student Learning Outcomes
Proposal clearly demonstrates that student learning outcomes are being taught and assessed sufficiently
- Use mathematical concepts and quantitative reasoning to solve problems, both in a pure mathematical context and in real-world contexts.
- Interpret information presented in a mathematical form (e.g., equations, graphs, diagrams, tables, words) and convert relevant information into a mathematical form.
- Draw appropriate conclusions based on the quantitative analysis of data, recognizing any underlying assumptions or limits of this analysis.
- Use deductive reasoning in a pure mathematical context to draw conclusions and provide an irrefutable logical justification for them.
- Formulate and communicate a position on a real-world question and use appropriate quantitative information in support of that position, and evaluate the soundness of such an argument.
Implementation and Assessment
Proposal or supplemental materials provide evidence of
- Specific training, currency and/or experience in the basic intellectual and pedagogic competencies in the specific block or designated area